Railroad Forums 

• New Idea for C&O #1601

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#161912  by Engineer James

If you have never known about it... C&O #1601 has been kept in the Henry ford for many years. I thought of the Henry Ford sponsering a excursion. Is it possibile?
 #703175  by cass71

Gentlemen (& the several ladies whom may visit this site);
I too, have been to the Henry Ford on a few occasions and marveled at C&O 1601, a 2-6-6-6 engine; BIG & powerful beyond belief! The HEAVIEST steam engine ever made!
Because it was stored inside for so many years, it is likely in "near perfect" condition. This engine came to the Henry Ford under it's OWN power!
It COULD steam again (with a lot of $$ and quite a few volunteers!)
Please rember though, they had to remove the complete engine cab to fit it into the museum all those years ago. If they EVER decided to make her live again, they would either have to enlarge the doors (unlikely) or to remove the cab and remove it for the LAST time.
To me, a "dead" engine on display is like visiting a grave! Sure, I'm glad they preserved this almost lost specimen but, until it is "alive" again, it's just a shadow of it's former self!
In June, CNR 6213, a 1942 "Northern" class 4-8-4 locomotive whioch had sat "dead" in Toronto since 1960, was moved to the old CPR, John Street roundhouse with the hope of restoring it to steam again. See http://www.trha.ca/ for lots more information. Over the 49 years this great engine sat dead and exposed to the elements, she was VERY well looked after by several generations of steam fans who dreamed of the day she would again take to the rails!
Never say never!
All the best to all who read this post.
Michael C.
 #703309  by John_Perkowski

Not knowing if the Museum has the resources ($$$) to make this happen, I know that the Abilene and Smoky Valley Railroad (Abilene, KS) was able to bring back ATSF 3415, a Baldwin light Pacific from 1919. While the cab was a mess, apparently the main boiler had just undergone major class shopping before retirement, and was brought back from cold iron in just 3 years.

It can be done.