Railroad Forums 

• Calling out signals

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#59085  by LIRR272

I recently took a trip on Amtrak's Crescent to Atlanta from NYC and back. While aboard the train I heard the engineer calling out the signals to the conductor once we left DC on our way South. On the return trip the same was done. So I asked the conductor is the calling out of signals an Amtrak rule or NORAC rule. He told me it was an Amtrak rule.

If thats the case, how come its not done from DC to NYC?

#59097  by Jersey_Mike

It's an NS/CSX rule. On Amtrak is is rather unecessary as their lines are all cab signaled.

The rule has come into more strict enfocrement recently due to a number of accidents caused by missed or mis-interperated signals.

#59107  by RMadisonWI

It's gotta be more than just an NS/CSX rule, because it was done on the Coast Starlight, which uses neither road's trackage.

#59153  by Jtgshu

Norac Rule 94-b. Responsibilities of employees: Calling Signals on push pull trains

The following requirements apply to push pull trains that do not have cab signals in service for the direction of movement , and are operating in territory where the maximum speed of trains exceeds 30mph:

1. when a wayside signal affecting the movement of the train displays an Approach, Medium Approach, Slow Approach, Restricting, or stop and proceed aspect, the Engineer must verbally communicate to a qualified employee on the engine or train the name and location of each signal, as soon as the signal is clearly visible. In multiple track territory, the engineer must include the track number.

2. The qualified employee must repeat the signal information to the Engineer. If the qualifed employee fails to repeat the required signal information, the engineer must determine the reason at the next station stop.

3. If the engineer fails to properly control the speed of the train, the qualified employee must immediately communicate with the engineer. If necessary, the qualified employee must stop the train.

4. The next signal, when more favorable, must also be communicated by the engineer.

Amtrak, CSX, and NS are all full members of NORAC (Northeast Operating Ruels Advisory Committee)

#59181  by Ken W2KB

>>>If thats the case, how come its not done from DC to NYC?<<<

My educated guess: The automatic train control on the NEC eliminates the need since the system automatically enforces response to the signal aspects.

#59419  by shlustig

IIRC, the practice of calling signals by radio to other members of a crew who were not aboard the lead locomotive unit began in the 1980's on CSX as a result of a series of accidents involving non-compliance with signal indications by the crew members aboard the lead unit. The perceived benefit was that the radio tape would show that the crew was fully alert when approaching a signal in the event of an incident.

On Conrail, the practice was considered and rejected as it originally required that all signals be called over the radio. With the volume of traffic on Conrail, it would have unnecessarily cluttered up the radio frequencies.

#59458  by westernrrtx

Specific Divisions may also modify rule requirements. On the Pacific Division of Amtrak and BNSF train crews broadcast certain signals between themselves and other trains.

#59521  by CSX Conductor

On the MBCR (MBTA's Commuter Rail lines) signal's only have to be called out on lines that are non-cab-signal territory, such as the Franklin Branch and CSXT's main-line between Cove interlocking and CP-21 in Framingham. Signals only need to be called when less favorable than a Clear Signal.

#69445  by Silverliner II

CSX is no longer NORAC, as based on the new combined operating rule book in effect as of November 1st. We've had to call signals on my territory since 7/1/2003.

Many former NORAC rules have new numbers (Rule 556 is now Rule 356 for example), one signal aspect has changed to conform to CSX practice (stop and proceed is now "restricted proceed" which does not require a stop). Form D's have been replaced by Form EC-1's in TWC territory (DCS; they still use DTC block forms in DTC territory). Other former NORAC rules have been merged into CSX rules, and some CSX rules were modified with NORAC applications.

To get back on topic, as cluttered as the radio frequency is on the NEC, calling signals over the radio would be highly unsafe, due to the sheer volume of traffic. And even on CSX, we have to call signals over the radio in cab signal territory (RF&P Sub, part of the Harrisburg Sub).

#69463  by Jersey_Mike

Does the new timetable embrace Rule 261 or is it that wierd Rule 262-275 thing. NORAC was really a wonderful rulebook, shame CSX had to go and bastardize it. I thought one of the Conrail takeover provisions was keeping the NORAC rulebook.
Last edited by Jersey_Mike on Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

#69520  by Silverliner II

Well, in a way, they did keep NORAC for close to 5 years.

I will have to look it up, but until new divisional timetables are issued, we're still calling it Rule 261. And I forgot to mention: The portion of the Trenton Line still dispatched by SEPTA is still under full NORAC rule operation.

#69525  by Jersey_Mike

Isn't the Conrail SAA trackage still NORAC as well?

#69527  by Silverliner II

Yes, Conrail SAA is still NORAC.

NS is also NORAC on its ex-Conrail territory except for some lines in South-central PA, OH and IN which they converted to NS operating rules.