Railroad Forums 

• DELAWARE RIVER ??? (Southern Tier Line)

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#671453  by ItaliDe

Hi,
Not sure i this is even the right spot for this question, but I think it was probably a Conrail line.

There is a rail line along the Deleware River near I-80 and further up north. I remember camping at this place called Bob Landers camp ground and the tracks pretty much went thru the camp ground.. I think the town was called Narrowsburg, NY. Anyway, Who's line is this and is it busy these days? How many trains per day? And where does this line tie into? When I was camping their 12 years ago I saw only 1 freight go thru and if my memory serves me correctly the train had a Conrail and a Susquhanna unit on the point.
Any info would be great as I wouldn't mind checking out this line again if it;s worth a trip all the way there.

Thanks
 #673246  by charlie6017

This is Norfolk Southern's Southern Tier line--formerly owned and operated by Erie Lackawanna and then Conrail. From Port Jervis, NY on east, Metro North runs passenger trains (don't know how frequently. NYSW runs a few trains a week from Binghamton to Campbell Hall NY and then south on their own trackage. Actually Bingo to Campbell Hall is leased to them right now until (?)----

NS doesn't operate any trains on the Tier east of Binghamton---all in all, East of Binghamton this line is very quiet.......(unfortunately :-( )
 #673328  by ItaliDe

WOW! so the line has been choked for freights now? Thats horrible! I remember camping at Bob Landers, this is back in the mid 90's and there wre freights running thru all the time. It was great! Very scenic! I am not an NS fan at all... sorry, I miss Conrail! CR's operations were much better..I still don't understand NS...10 yrs into it all.....