Railroad Forums 

• A1 PEPPERCORN 'TORNADO'

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#564308  by TRAINSFORBRAINS

Has anyone else seen this project? I wish someone would start something like this in the US with a prototype of something we have lost to the scrappers. I can think of quite a few that would be candidates. A Milwaulkee Road Hiawatha would be nice. A Pensy duplex might be good too.
http://www.a1steam.com/
 #564523  by Sir Ray

Yeah, it was discussed a little while back in this thread, under Worldwide.
I'm not particularly impressed, and a bit surprized as there are a lot of steam locomotives preserved in the UK already (is the market all that large to support them all).
We have enough steam locomotives around in the US that need restoration (eg the 2 LIRR steam locos - now discussion about those was good for a number of thread) that I don't think we really need to be building new ones...
 #564588  by TRAINSFORBRAINS

You're not impressed? Did you go to the site? Its built and just needs its final paint. I'm impressed that a group could be so ambitious, professional and dedicated to thier project for 18 years and take it to completion. They have raised almost 3 million from donations. That could be done here in the US. I think an effort toward restoration of what we have would be great but, who has even attempted to raise that kind of coin. I could understand if you were not impressed with say the K4 restoration project and its failure but not impressed with this? I hope they move on to other projects based on thier success. We should try it here. They used what they call 'covenators' where an individual commits to supporting the project with a monthly donation, something that could be counted on and planned against. It could be as low as five bucks but, month after month it would be there and as more people join up, the project could get accomplished more quickly. I agree to look at putting it toward restoration first but if there is enough enthusiasm for a new one of a lost prototype then build it.
 #596711  by atsf sp

According to Trains It has been completed but still in primer paint. It could run on the nation's lines because it has been built to safety standards.
 #654979  by atsf sp

Tornado looks great in its green paint. It looks truly authentic. It shows that steam restoration could be brought to an entirely new level of building a brand new steam engine and still capture the old.