Railroad Forums 

• Winter Plans

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#63252  by capltd29

Anyone here have any cool winter traveling Amtrak Plans(I am sure that you do)?

I am going to BAltimore, MD from Richmond, VA where I live.

I am also going to my Grandma's House on the Capitol Limited and the Hiawathas.

What do ya'll have on tap?

#63256  by updrumcorpsguy

Empire Builder SEA - Chicago, California Zephyr Round-Trip Chicago-Omaha and the SW Chief Chicago-LA at Christmas. I'm flying home from LA however - don't want to risk getting stuck on the Starlight on New Year's Eve.

I'm also going round trip to Winslow on the Coast Starlight and Southwest Chief in February. Going to stay at La Posada - the famous hotel designed by Mary Colter for Fred Harvey/ATSF and recently renovated after spending years as a ATSF office building.

#63266  by AmtrakFan

Nothing but Railfanning. :( :(

AmtrakFan

#63280  by njtmnrrbuff

I probaly will take a trip on the Acela for the first time, going to Providence over my winter break. Also, there will probaly be a couple of outings on trainsit like down to Pt. Pleasant beach.

#64592  by Amtrak288

My next trip is in early December to do my Christmas Shopping. This is something I could easily do at home in Buffalo, NY but it's the best excuse I can come up with to get a trip in before the end of the year!!! I'm planning now on three trips in 2005, the first one I have no set date yet, the second would likely be in September for vacation and the last in December for Christmas shopping, but 2005 is only in the rough planning stages for me right now...
 #64610  by 2nd trick op

For a couple of years in the late '90s, I managed a transient hotel at Fort Lee, Virginia, owned by a New Brunswick, New Jersey-based family. For a "coal cracker" who'd grown up in an area with no Amtrak service(Northeast Penna), this gave us new opportunities for rail travel.

Got a call from my old boss two weeks ago...he's got a new property, in Orlando this time, and I've been invited back. With gas at an all-time high and a distaste for flying, might be time to hit the rails instead.

#64699  by Greg Moore

Well, I will most likely be going to NYC from Albany quite a few times.

But that's just a day trip.

If all goes well, I'll once again be taking the train to Atlanta and back. (may even spring for a Sleeper on the way back.)

Other than that, unless job situation changes or something, looking like no trip to Florida this winter.