Railroad Forums 

• P42 #154 involved in grade crossing accident

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#52841  by RMadisonWI

Nothing seems damaged beyond the front nose area. Shouldn't be too much to get it back in service. I've seen a P42 that had that entire nose section replaced. Actually looked pretty cool with the "scar lines."

#53225  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

where were you when u took that photo, there are overhead wires? the NEC somewhere?

#53270  by mlrr

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:where were you when u took that photo, there are overhead wires? the NEC somewhere?
Hi!

I was in Washington D.C's Union Station and they had just made the locomotive switch to diesel so that train 95 (my train) could continue South to its final destination; Newport News, VA.

So electrification on the NEC goes as far South as Washington D.C. A locomotive swap is required for through trains and so catenary is still present in the terminal.

#53565  by hsr_fan

mlrr wrote:That loco pulled my train on one of my last Amtrak trips. Here's a photo from it. Ironically it had a ding in the front in this photo, lol.
The Genesis diesels seem quite prone to front end damage. Obviously that very front portion consists of thin sheetmetal with nothing underneath. I don't recall seeing many photos of E-8's or other diesels of yesteryear with that type of damage. Even Amtrak's F40PH's didn't seem so susceptible to dings and dents in the nose.

This is a very common sight:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=78188
Last edited by hsr_fan on Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#53569  by octr202

I can't imagine that that is easy stuff to repair either. I wonder if cosemetic damage liek that is just something that is left in palce now until the unit has to get shopped for something else. It looks bad, but I doubt that its imparing the functionality of the unit at all.

#53570  by queenlnr8

Uggh. That's too bad for that to happen to a good locomotive. Though, I never really liked their 'cab forward' design anyway. I miss the 'hoods' of yesteryear.

#53672  by mlrr

I would assume that the dings occur from lashing locomotives together or something. Even though the couplers leave a bit of space between the locos; they are coupled fairly closely.

#62362  by geoffs

154 has been repaired and is back running (on City Of New Orleans 19OCT).