Railroad Forums 

• What ever happened to the National Chief?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#61979  by AmtrakFan

Remember in the late 90's and early 00's when they were talking about make the Southwest Chief and the Capital Limited one train? What ever happened to that Idea I liked the idea.

AmtrakFan
 #61991  by Gilbert B Norman

Just a Y2K dream of the "W" gang, Mr Fan; what more can I say.

It had about as much credence as does the Chi-Fla train we are discussing at another thread.
Only difference, this "dream" was pronounced by the Amtrak CEO; not a bunch of railfan bloggers.
 #62002  by AmtrakFan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Just a Y2K dream of the "W" gang, Mr Fan; what more can I say.

It had about as much credence as does the Chi-Fla train we are discussing at another thread.
Only difference, this "dream" was pronounced by the Amtrak CEO; not a bunch of railfan bloggers.
Yes that stunk also before Amtrak was their talk about having a WAS to LA Train at one time?

AmtrakFan

#62056  by cbaker

Actually, for a very brief time, there was a through coach between the SW Chief and the Capitol Limited. It could remain occupied by passengers, should they so choose, but they would be unable to get off the car at all during it's layover at Chicago Union Station. Hence, few folks (if any) took advantage of it.

The equipment for train 4 still runs through to become train 30, and train 29 becomes train 3 at Chicago. But passengers are not permitted to remain aboard the cars during the layover.

#62071  by catfoodflambe

Didn't there use to be a through sleeper exchanged between the Southwest Chief and the National Limited at Kansas City right after Amtrak's inception?

#62072  by railfanofewu

cbaker wrote:Actually, for a very brief time, there was a through coach between the SW Chief and the Capitol Limited. It could remain occupied by passengers, should they so choose, but they would be unable to get off the car at all during it's layover at Chicago Union Station. Hence, few folks (if any) took advantage of it.

The equipment for train 4 still runs through to become train 30, and train 29 becomes train 3 at Chicago. But passengers are not permitted to remain aboard the cars during the layover.
Would be nice to have a national system, but that is a pipe dream too. Unfortunately.
 #62097  by Gilbert B Norman

I guess the "zenith" of through transcontinental service occurred with the June 11, 1972 timetable when two NY-LA Sleepers were offered.

One route was NY-Kansas City on the National Ltd interchanging to #19, The Chief. The Chief was a one summer only experiment reincarnating the ATSF Chief one night out schedule.

The other routing was via New Orleans Southern Crescent to Sunset. The car was available for overnight occupancy at New Orleans.

#62218  by AmtrakFan

cbaker wrote:Actually, for a very brief time, there was a through coach between the SW Chief and the Capitol Limited. It could remain occupied by passengers, should they so choose, but they would be unable to get off the car at all during it's layover at Chicago Union Station. Hence, few folks (if any) took advantage of it.

Does 4 Lay over a day then become 30 also I've seen while Railfanning on the BNSF RaceTrack I've seen 3 with the 29's Numbers on the Cars. Also to add to the thru Sleeper thing the Texas Eagle still does that 3x Weekly.

AmtrakFan