Railroad Forums 

• BRW in "The Miracle Worker"?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#589157  by pierrerabbit

Caught The Miracle Worker on TV the other day. In an early scene, you see "Anne Sullivan" getting off a train. Look closely at the letters on the passenger car, looks like it says Black River & Western.

Question is.....the movie was made around 1960, but the railroad wasn't operating until around '65? Right?
 #589270  by radioboy

The original miracle worker came out in 1962. Another TV version was made in 79. According to this the BR&W was formed in 61 and started running trains in 65.
 #589920  by NYS&W142Fan

I may be wrong, but I think that scene was filmed in or near Chester NJ on the branch line that ran from a connection with CNJ just East of long Valley to where the Chester Mall is now at the corner of Rt 24 and Rt 206. If you know where to look a lot of the old RoW is still there.
 #590018  by The Rising

Hello all,

If memory serves me correctly, the Miracle Worker train scenes were actually filmed on the Gladstone Branch at the Gladstone station. I don't recall the year, but it was very early, near the time the BR&W was formed. Now, if I can only find my old BR&W book from the 1970's that had photo's of the filming in it. :(

Well, that's all for now folks.

See ya all later.....
 #590039  by pierrerabbit

Old photos?? Photos from that era would be a nice addition to the Black River Historical Trust's museum, (to be built, in a baggage car). Thanks for the info, everyone
 #592844  by PVRX1

Correct. Miracle Worker was filmed at the Gladstone NJ train station. Coach in camera view was relettered slightly. Station sign was changed from Gladstone to Boston for the taping. Can't say when it was filmed though, I'd guess early sixties.
 #897887  by Jeanne GG1

Is there any update to this question? The Gladstone train station being in the filming of "The Miracle Worker" came up a couple of years ago in a lot of fun with questions like this one. A few nights ago, the question arose again, and to refresh my recollection, I Googled and got to this thread on one of my favorite sources, Railroad.Net! To my delight, I found this thread and a new question, namely, about the Black River & Western possibly being a part of this movie, or one of the versions of this movie. If anyone can clarify or expound upon this, please do so. I would greatly appreciate it! Photos would be even better! Be a nice surprise for a few folks. Of course, it may not be a surprise since are some are on Railroad.Net, namely a few BRW volunteers!
 #897919  by wolfboy8171981

There is a picture in the book "The Black River Story" by Virgina Smith, of the original BR&W Ex-Erie Wyatt Earp coaches in Boonton. They were relettered only in the camera frame. I cannot remember the date.
 #901044  by ATSF2419

radioboy wrote:The original miracle worker came out in 1962. Another TV version was made in 79. According to this the BR&W was formed in 61 and started running trains in 65.
BR&W was incorporated in 1961 with the original intent to operate passenger trains over the CNJ Chester branch. They ran a few trips over the branch using 2-6-0 565.

BR&W began revenue opeartions on the Flemington branch on May 16, 1965.

60 wasn't purchased until 1963 or so.
 #901106  by R36 Combine Coach

According to its website BRW has been in service since 1964.

So I got how the Black River RR get its name. The CNJ Chester Branch in Chester runs near the Black River (upper Lamington River).