Railroad Forums 

• IRM Members Weekend - 9/12-13

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#576488  by polybalt

Just a heads up that IRM will hold its annual Member's Weekend (marketed to the public as "Musuem Showcase Weekend" ) this Saturday and Sunday, Sept 13 and 14. In my opinion this is the single best time to visit IRM. Living on the east coast, I only get out once or twice a year but never miss this event. It is the one time that all the Museum departments pull out the stops to show the membership what they have been up to all year. The last year I counted, over 60 pieces of rolling stock were operated that weekend, out of IRM's huge collection of over 400 locomotives and cars.

Saturday traditionally is the day the Electric fleet is showcased. I am sure there will be several multiple-car trains of Chicago 'L" cars and interurbans operating at various times of the day on the Museum's 4-mile main line, and an assortment of streetcars running around the 1-mile streetcar loop. This is traditionally one of the few days in the year that IRM's first acquisition , Indiana Railroad 65 (a high-speed lightweight interurban) operates. The acceleration of this car is incredible and the operator has a hard time holding it back to the Museum speed limit of 40mph. Also, it looks like two heavyweight Illinois Terminal interurban cars will operate for the first time in nearly 20 years.

The Internal Combustion crew will certainly have lots of diesels in operation, particularly on Sunday. Several months ago they announced this would be the introduction of completely restored and backdated SD-24, CB&Q 504. I hope it's ready!

Unfortunately no steam operations this year, but certainly there will be several passenger car consists out and running and probably a freight train as well. I understand the Museum's ex CNW, nee B&M, RDC may be used for the first time (but not yet under its own power).

And I assume the trolley bus gang will have its latest acquisition, a Seattle articulated, running around the property.

I can hardly wait to head for Union later in the week. If you always wanted to visit IRM but never quite got there, this is the time!