Railroad Forums 

• Warren, PA Question

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#550699  by pablo

I have a question about a long-ago pulled siding off the main in Warren, PA.

The siding in question is just West of the current switch that makes the main line split in two as the line comes into Warren from Erie. You can see the right of way along Rt. 6 and on some of the streets down by the Holiday Inn.

A check of DAVP/PC track charts show that this trackage doesn't exist on their line. A similar check of the PRR charts I could find don't even cover the city of Warren itself.

There were three lines leaving Warren going west through history, and all were more or less parallel at this point, and of course as PC consolidated things quite a bit, redundant lines went away.

Does anyone know what this was, and is there a track chart that exists for it?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Becker
 #550877  by Ron S.

Dave,

This was simply a spur track that was built to service the proposed industrial park that was to be located there at one time. From what I've been told, it was built but was never actually connected to the PRR/PC/CR track.

Warren Rail Service bought the rail and removed it a few years ago for use in building their new yard east of Preston Road in Starbrick (behind the office).

Ron Stafford
 #550902  by pablo

Roger.

Some older PA/PennDOT highway maps show a siding there beginning in the 40's, with two spurs, but I found them after I posted here...so I didn't mention them.

Ron, I'm assuming you see the right of way each time you go West out of Warren.

In your time, then, in the area, it's never been connected to the main, correct?

Thanks in advance.

Dave Becker
 #550913  by Ron S.

Dave,

> In your time, then, in the area, it's never been connected to the main, correct?

Yes, that's correct.

If it was indeed ever connected, I was given bad information.

Ron
 #550931  by pablo

To be honest, I have no proof it ever was. I suspect if a ZTS map exists of the line in PRR days (I couldn't find one), it would have a spur and siding names...if they were ever there. There's track there in those PennDOT maps...but after all, Mapquest until recently showed Penn Central track in Mayville, NY still. Obviously, trustworthy.

Dave Becker