Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#419693  by Eric Kreszl

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I was just in Miami and photgraphed some of the Tri-Rail Commuter trains including a DMU Car. When I posted the photos on rrpicturearchives.net I recieved several complaints the reporting marks for the locomotives and passenger cars were incorrect. The letters I used were TRCX and should have been labeled FTR. I used TRCX because F40PH #811 had those letters on the side of the locomotive.

Was I correct???

Eric

#470827  by Kurt-Trirail

I know for certain that TRCX are the reporting marks for the motive power - not sure about the DMU's or cars however, for I've heard about half a dozen (and the lettering is not marked on the Bombardiers, if I recall right), and I dare say half of them are incorrect.

Stick to your guns on the TRCX though - most of the other reporting marks everybody else tells you are concoctions of sheer nonsense.

Take care,

-Kurt

#470844  by DutchRailnut

Commuter railroads in general do not have reporting marks, since fleet is captive to a few lines.
When shiped off property they usually are shipped under rebuilders reporting marks, like MPEX or BBDX etc.
only reporting marks commuter agencies use is for MofW equipment as it usually needs to travel off line to be loaded with balast etc.

#478924  by wigwagfan

DutchRailnut wrote:Commuter railroads in general do not have reporting marks, since fleet is captive to a few lines.
TriMet (Portland, OR) is assigned the reporting mark TMTC (despite currently owning zero equipment; it also has a railroad mark despite not being an operating railroad.)
Southern California Regional Rail Authority (a.k.a. Metrolink) is assigned SCAX.
New Mexico Rail Runner is assigned NMRX.
Central Puget Sound Regional Transit Agency (a.k.a. Sound Transit/Sounder) is assigned SDRX.

As for Tri-Rail, it's definitely TRCX, as their DMUs are lettered as such judging from multiple photos found online. It does appear that when the cars were in delivery that they did carry CRMX reporting marks but that the reporting marks clearly appear to have been temporary on top of the TRCX marks. Don't know why...

#488099  by Kurt-Trirail

wigwagfan wrote:It does appear that when the cars were in delivery that they did carry CRMX reporting marks but that the reporting marks clearly appear to have been temporary on top of the TRCX marks. Don't know why...
Easy - CRMX, Colorado Railcar. Probably temporaries until the cars officially changed hands.

-Kurt

#491317  by cpontani

According to Wikipedia, the bastion of all knowledge, TRCX does not belong to Tri-Rail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AA ... g_marks:_T

(EDIT by mod: Was attempting to quote your post, and ended up half-deleting it. I have reposted it according to the quote in the post below. My apologies.)

#491528  by DutchRailnut

The site you quote as AAR is not AAR but just another railfan site.
And their stuff is not official either look at MNCX ;-)

#491830  by Kurt-Trirail

"According to Wikipedia"
That's a good joke in itself. Pulled right out of all-acronyms.com:

http://www.all-acronyms.com/?t=trcx

No evidence on Google as to what buisness "Treco Sales, Inc." is in - except for another incorrect usage of the term on RRpicturearchive.net.

Revised on Wikipedia. Time to stop any further confusion.

Take care,

-Kurt