Railroad Forums 

• "Fried Green Tomatoes"- Steamer

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#207762  by Engineer James

I saw the movie "Fried Green tomatoes" on TBS this past weekend. In it it has a eather 2-8-0 or 2-8-2 letter for the Tallahassee and Albany (Fake Railroad) what steamer did they use?

#207805  by CarterB

According to: http://www.steamlocomotive.com/nc-ga/
#290 was built in 1926. It is currently undergoing restoration work. It is planned to have it running soon and there is talk of a two mile run to the city of Duluth and back. 290 is probably best known for its appearance in Fried Green Tomatoes. 290 last operated on the New Georgia Railroad pulling excursions during the 1980s.

According to:http://www.srmduluth.org/Exhibits/steam.htm
Atlanta & West-Point #290 4-6-2 Heavy Pacific
Built 1926, Lima. Driving wheels: 73 inches. This Heavy Pacific powered the Crescent passenger train from Atlanta to Montgomery during its years of service with the Atlanta & West Point Railroad. Last service with New Georgia Railroad (excursions) during the 1980s. Featured in Fried Green Tomatoes.

#207893  by route_rock

Greeeeaaaaaat so now I have to watch this movie. One way to get a guy to watch a chick flick I guess :-D

#207920  by Mike Walsh

It's only 30 seconds of steam locomotive, and that's it. Not enough balance of steam locomotive and chick flick for me to see it ;)

#207983  by Engineer James

I still like its appearance! It was pretty good. Even has a whistle test on it... beautiful steam whistle.

#208265  by rlsteam

The Pentrex video/DVD "New Georgia Steam Excursions" features this locomotive. You'll see plenty of it in this production.

#457568  by savannahandatlanta750

Engineer James wrote:I still like its appearance! It was pretty good. Even has a whistle test on it... beautiful steam whistle.

She actually carried two different whistles in that movie. In the scenes filmed in Senoia, GA on the old Central of Georgia C-Line, she carried a Central of Georgia five-chime step top. In the scenes filmed in Juliette, GA on the Southern main, she carried a Hancock Inspirator 3-chime steptop steamboat whistle. The Hancock is virtually identical to the one she carried in regular service on the A&WP (the original whistle was stolen off of the engine either when on display in Lakewood Park or when stored at Southern's Inman Yard).