Railroad Forums 

• 1925 Locomotive Cyclopedia

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#428503  by #7470

Hey guys. I'm trying to bring some attention to my post in the wanted forum. I would appreciate it if you would take a look. Its in the wanted, entitled 1925 Locomotive Cyclopedia. I'm trying to learn all I can about steam locomotives and I want to learn how to fire and run them. Thanks, I appreciate it.

#428957  by GOLDEN-ARM

This might sound kind of 'corny", but you can get a complete course on firing, and running steam locos. I had a course, from the "International Correspondence School", from some city I don't recall now. (Scranton?) Published originally in the mid 30's or so, it allowed a fireman to have access to a complete course, to aid his study. It was a set of around 8-10 books, with diagrams, questions and mail in answers. I got the set through an estate sale, back in Sayre, in the early 80's. I sold the set, several years ago, on ebay. I've seen the set for sale, several times since then, and it might be very easy to find. It includes air brake manual, with diagrams, mechanical portions, fires, grates and flues, and all other aspects as well. The books are yellow, and about the size of a Readers Digest. Well worth the coin, if you can locate a set...... :wink:

#429083  by #7470

Thanks for the advice GOLDEN-ARM. I will look around for it. I am only 15 and I'm trying to lkearn as much as I can about steam locomotives because I someday want to drive the Conway Scenic Railroads class 0-18a 0-6-0 Canadian National steam locomotive #7470. Thanks for the advice. :wink:

#429671  by GOLDEN-ARM

Well, you don't want to drive that engine, you want to "run" her. :wink:

#430009  by #7470

Thats not the first time I've made that mistake. :-)

#438494  by Consolidation

This might be outside of your capabilities, but there is a school for the amatuer train driver... in Poland. Go to this website to get details:

http://www.rannochadventures.com/t,s/0, ... iving.html

I am trying to go next year.

Consolidation

#438554  by GOLDEN-ARM

Seeing the country, and the names for their engineers, uh, never mind..... :P Seems like a very, very long way to go, just to get some seat time. Seems there is a place right here in the States, that offers training for those interested in running.

#438738  by Joe Fox

Yes, there is the Nevada Northern railroad in Ely Nevada, Valley Railroad in Essex Conneticut, Boothbay Railway Village in Boothbay Maine, Maine Narrow Gauge in Portland Maine, and various others. So there are plenty of chances hear in the states, and also a lot cheaper than that price. The two railroads in Maine, teach you how to operate and let you run 2' gauge steam equipment. In Portland, you get a chance to operate an original Maine 2' gauge steam engine. However, if you are interested in operating a steam engine, without paying, all you have to do is volunteer at a local steam railroad, if you are old enough, or be employed by a local steam railroad, and hope that you can become a steame engineer, or firemen. I am only 17, and I am a firemen on a 2' gauge steam engine. It is a lot of fun, but really hot. A lot of people think of 2' gauge as a toy, however, the railroad that I volunteer for, is far from a toy. As it was once an original freight railroad, that played a small part in developing some of Maine's small towns between Wiscasset, and Albion.

Joe

#440279  by #7470

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Seeing the country, and the names for their engineers, uh, never mind..... :P Seems like a very, very long way to go, just to get some seat time. Seems there is a place right here in the States, that offers training for those interested in running.

Where would that place be?

#440326  by Joe Fox

Where would what be, the places where you could get some seat time in the engineers seat? I listed many of the places here in the U.S. where you can get some engineer time in, however, you must be 18 or older.

Joe