Railroad Forums 

• CSX repaint schedule

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#398186  by Conrail1990

Does anybody know if CSX has a schedule out for locomotives to go from the YN2 Paint to the YN3 paint scheme?

#398364  by Conrail4evr

I'm pretty sure it's at their convenience...or, simply put, no, I don't believe there is such a schedule.
 #398519  by Bryanjones

Conrail1990 wrote:Does anybody know if CSX has a schedule out for locomotives to go from the YN2 Paint to the YN3 paint scheme?
No there is not particular schedule for painting a locomotive. Painting generally takes place during overhauls and/or following wreck repairs, but this is not the strict rule.

Bryan Jones
Brooks,KY

#398629  by Engineer James

Looking at the numbers all of the GP15-1's all the way to #1525 are all now in DF. But, also lookin at the roster, #1534 (ex-CR #1616) should be next, since all the ex-CR Geeps between them are all over at NS.....

Also, I have trying to do some research, and has anyone seen #1534 recently? I saw she did a local run a few weeks back, and she is posted as just a yard service only unit on many of the updated internet rosters.... any of you CSX junkies could check for me that would be awesome!!

#398753  by uhaul

CSXT 1534 is one of the best looking YN2 units out there (in terms of paint condition) and a repaint does not seem to be in the near future.

#398786  by CN9634

But does a repaint seem to be in the Dark Future? (A cheap joke I know...) :wink:

#398802  by Conrail1990

CN9634 wrote:But does a repaint seem to be in the Dark Future? (A cheap joke I know...) :wink:
Thats YN3

#399249  by uhaul

I think someone must have been tripping on acid to call it YN7 or else there are really confused.

Where it may get confusing is the CSXT-bc paint scheme; bc standing for Blue cab. This paint scheme is also known as YN2.

Though not as confusing is the CSX-bc2 which is unique to the AC6000CWs and consists of large CSX lettering with a yellow center and blue as an outline. There were also dual lightning bolts bracketing the road number.

#399565  by Conrail1990

Yeah the way they designed thosw 115 ac6000cw's were cool.

#400033  by lvrr325

I've seen CSX units going around with the entire CSX logo faded off the side... and don't forget 4617 that kept it's C&O blue long enough for it to become the current paint scheme again.

Generally they only repaint when a fairly signifigant overhaul is needed. Units are classed in certain categories, and units in nonstandard (IE Conrail) paint will get classed for repaints before units in YN2 or older CSX paint. Units in categories where they will be retired at major failure, will not see paint. Same goes for units that may be good engines, but will see replacement anyways in the near-term.

#400910  by Will_S

1511 was on the New Rock last week and had either been recently painted in YN2, or was the cleanest road locomotive I have ever seen.

#402234  by Engineer James

GP15-1 #1560 was here running the Middlebelt Transfer, she was in DF. Smokey start at Plymouth out of the Yard and on the Daimond to the Detroit Division.

#402753  by Will_S

1518 is running across the river at Seneca, IL, and will be for a few more days. She's still in YN1.