Railroad Forums 

• News Item: Cost of Quieting Trains Too Much For Ohio Town

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

#392993  by rcbsd45

FOSTORIA, Ohio - Homeowners have long complained about the barrage of whistles from the nearly 200 trains that rumble through town just about everyday, the Associated Press reports.
It adds up to 5,400 piercing whistles a day.

"It's horrible," said Shirley Childers, who lives near a rail line. "They just lay on their horns."

City leaders have been studying how to ban the whistles but they have found that it might cost too much to add safety devices at its crossings, required to create quiet zones.

The safety improvements could cost from $450,000 to $850,000, according to estimates provided to the city.

"It's not a done issue," Mayor John Davoli said. "Although the cost is very high, we're not going to give up on it."

He has been lobbying for about five years for help in creating quiet zones in the northwest Ohio city of 14,000 people, where three main rail lines converge.

Two City Council members, though, said Tuesday it's doubtful the idea will move forward in the foreseeable future because the city doesn't have the money.

Noisy trains have become such a common complaint that the Federal Railroad Administration now allows cities to ban whistles as long as they add or improve safety devices at crossings.

Safety improvements can include constructing longer gates, and barriers that stop cars from zigzagging around crossing gates such as installing permanent pylons with reflectors near the crossings.

Another option is putting up automated horns that direct a recorded warning at traffic and not at surrounding homes.

One problem for cities is that little money is available to help pay for the changes, Davoli said.

Communities in at least 24 states, mainly in Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Indiana and Virginia, have banned train whistles.

The federal agency says complaints have grown because rail traffic has increased and towns are expanding toward once-remote railroad tracks.

Neighbors of busy rail crossings say the noise lowers their property values, forces some people to move and increases stress and sleeplessness.

Joyce Kidd, who lives next to a busy track in Fostoria, said the whistles have become unbearable, adding she never would have bought her house if she knew it would get so noisy.

#394274  by ToledoTerminalRy

Obviously these people are tone deaf or have never heard a Leslie S-5T.
I live less than 300 feet from CSX's Toledo Terminal main and I very much appreciate all the tones and melodys that pass me about every 15 minutes. I have lived by trains for the past 21 years and they have never really bothered me anytime - except when im sleeping and they hit notch eight right off a stop and jerk all the autoracks forward about 8 feet at 10 mph lol. I would be pretty mad if Oregon made a no whistle zone here.

Ryan
 #394420  by chessie8212

rcbsd45 wrote:Joyce Kidd, who lives next to a busy track in Fostoria, said the whistles have become unbearable, adding she never would have bought her house if she knew it would get so noisy.
Well DUH...

I would assume that most people buying a house next to railroad tracks (especially in a city such as Fostoria where 3 lines are in such close proximity) would understand that such an environment is going to be loud and noisy.
 #394463  by Wisconsin Railfan

chessie8212 wrote:
rcbsd45 wrote:Joyce Kidd, who lives next to a busy track in Fostoria, said the whistles have become unbearable, adding she never would have bought her house if she knew it would get so noisy.
I'll Buy It... :P

Like what was said above, how could you not know! Just like the folks who buy a house near an airport... and complain about the noise.

//Now get off my lawn :wink:

BB

#394465  by amtrakhogger

It's called BUYER BEWARE!

I guess people were really born yesterday or just dropped on
their head!

#413149  by Tadman

Here's my favorite:

"Neighbors of busy rail crossings say the noise lowers their property values, forces some people to move and increases stress and sleeplessness. "

Ummmmkay... If the last guy to own your house had the tracks nearby, and that lowered his resale, does that mean you got it for a bargain? In other words, was the horn adjustment factored in? We're talking about Ohio here, not some new frontier, so it likely was. Most railroad lines in Ohio were built over 100 years ago, so I believe building/buying a house near the tracks is called "coming to the nuisance". As a lawyer, I can state with certainty that "coming to the nuisance" is going to be tough to beat in court. Were the court to find in your favor, that the nuisance is unbearable, the likely solution would be that you are ordered to pay the railroad to move their tracks.

It's amazing that people can be this dumb...

#414739  by lakeshoredave

Trains blow their horns in Fostoria? Thats news to me.

Signed,
Canada Loves Hockey, Upstate NY Has Long & Cold Winters, Tiger Woods Is The Best Pro Golfer Ever, and Union Pacific Runs A Lot Of Trains Into North Platte

GOOD NIGHT NOW
 #425764  by Innkeeper

We get about one hundred trains every 24 hours passing The FALLSTON FLAGSTOP Railfan B&B, with the CSX Pittsburgh Sub mainline (contributing roughly 40 trains a day) located at the foot of the back yard--barely 75 feet from the Porch. Norfolk Southern's Ft. Wayne and Youngstown Lines (with a combined total of about 60 trains daily) are in full view just across the Beaver River (we're about 25 miles NW of Pittsburgh). While there are no grade crossings close by, the trains themselves ARE CLOSE. Guests who stay two nights almost always report they heard no trains the second night--often they TRY to hear them the first night. The point is, the human body becomes conditioned to recurring noise patterns very quickly. A second point is that we have one of the best locations in the country to watch mainline rail traffic on both CSX and Norfolk Southern. Visit the website: www.fallstonflagstop.com. Call us at (724) 843-7023. Or write for a free brochure: The FALLSTON FLAGSTOP Railfan B&B, 62 Beaver Street, Fallston, PA 15066. Our trains may not keep you awake, but they WILL keep you entertained and reaching for your camera often!