Railroad Forums 

• Another round of BNSF furlough?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#383162  by freshmeat

There is a latrine theory that when UP is hiring, BNSF hires just so UP won't get them. Do I believe it, I don't know. It sure seems like we've hired a LOT of trainmen we don't need. Of course again, with System Wide Seniority, BNSF knows those that can't work because of mismanagement at their local terminal, will flow like water to where they are needed and BNSF generally won't pay for familiarization so, they get free employees.

Trying to second guess this place is like trying to nail Jell-o to the wall!

#386086  by Xponder

Geez, I was lookin' around at various terminals and found that Winslow, AZ still has 28 people on their OFIR (furlough) board. Most have been there since early December 2006. Ten, or so, on that board are new hires that got to work less than four months! :(

Apparently, BNSF didn't bother to establish a Work Retention Board to keep these people alive! I would think that some of these folks won't be coming back should they be eventually recalled.

As I have heard from many managers, "it's all about the MONEY". From that type of thinking then they must mean; your life be damned! :( :(

And, to think, CEO Matt Rose took home 12.6 million in BNSF stock in compensation for 2006 that he has been cashin' in on a daily basis. :( :(

To all BNSF new hires: -- Welcome to the CHAOS PARTY!! :wink:

#386100  by rwallace2fan1

[quote="Xponder"]Geez, I was lookin' around at various terminals and found that Winslow, AZ still has 28 people on their OFIR (furlough) board. Most have been there since early December 2006. Ten, or so, on that board are new hires that got to work less than four months! :(

KC UP has 92 furloughed, and that does not count my class and the class after mine. :( . what does KC BNSF boards look like?

#386119  by Xponder

Well, Kansas City, Ks has two on their Work Retention board plus fifteen new hires that began Jan 15th.

Kansas City, MO has four on their OIFR board.

#386346  by Xponder

Now, 04/13/06, Clovis has 24 on their bump board and beginning Monday, the 16th, a Work Retention board is being established. They also have seven new hires that should markup April 23rd.

Must be Friday the 13th!! :(

#386377  by resauto

Im glad I turned down BNSF and went to KCS.........to much drama now. Another classmate of mine had his Temple Tx calss cancled

#386778  by GN 599

Where I work here in southern OR it takes 4 years senority to hold the bottom of the switchmans extra board. They shipped everyone else who couldnt hold to Interbay (Seattle) and Vancouver. :(

#390679  by Xponder

Well, here we go again. 04/23/07 The last derailment near Ft Sumner had caused BNSF to cut the boards in Clovis and Winslow. Now, a bridge fire near Belen had caused the railroad to come to another halt. Got that bridge repaired yesterday but engineers are coming back into the yard and with a recent recall we've again got too many in the yard. So, either we get some relief by releasing the yard or establish a work retention board. I've had five different jobs in the past two weeks, thankfully the've all been daylight jobs. But, it can't last. The end of this week will be the end of myself and a couple of others. :(

Those seven new hires in Clovis are really going to feel it come this Saturday at midnight when they mark up - straight to the lay off board. Clovis has 24 on their work retention board now.