Railroad Forums 

• government owned locomotives w/friction trucks

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#354924  by scharnhorst

I don't know if this is the right place for this topic but I'll ask anyways. Knowing that Locomotive's and Rail cars with Friction Bearing trucks can't be interchanged dose this rule also apply to Government Owned Locomotives that operated by the Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marie Corps? If any of these branches of the armed services needed or was transferring one of there Locomotives from one base to another lets say from Norfolk, VA to San Diego, CA dose a road like CSX and who ever the other railroad its swapped with have to take it as well?
 #355037  by 6088

From what I have seen, most of the current military locomotives are smaller ones, that could be put on a flat car pretty easily. I do admit I am not too current on just what they have out there, but from what I have seen its a few GPs (which likely have roller bearings) and a bunch of 80 tonners and smaller.

Hope this helps

#355040  by usa4624

The Department of Defense has 3 DODX flatcars that have been converted to locomotive transport cars; DODX 40006-40008.

They are used to move the RS4TC and GE 80 ton locomotives, which do not move on their own wheels.
 #355137  by Aa3rt

Here's a link to a photo I took about 10 years ago-U.S. Navy GE 80 ton#
65-00524 (recently sold) on DODX 12-wheel flatcar # 36617-note the ramps stacked on either side of the loco.

http://www.traingod.railfan.net/AA/usnavyswitcher.jpg

#355183  by scharnhorst

I've seen at leased 2 of those DODX Flats a few years ago with to small 80 tonners on them in Geneva, NY this was about the time that the Seneca army depot was in the process of closing down the 2 little locos went in but never came back. The military dose have a GP9's, 11's, 16's, and 20's.

I guess what I'm asking is back when the Military still had all them little SW's and Fairbanks units that were to big and heavy for flat cars did the railroads have to move them by rail even thow thy were equipped with Friction Trucks?

#355360  by usa4624

The military never had this problem. By the time friction trucks were not allowed, the SW8s had been converted to roller bearings, and the FM Units were slated to be retired, and were sold off at their last assignments.
scharnhorst wrote:
I guess what I'm asking is back when the Military still had all them little SW's and Fairbanks units that were to big and heavy for flat cars did the railroads have to move them by rail even thow thy were equipped with Friction Trucks?
 #360629  by RailVet

One SW8 locomotive that was never fully converted to roller bearings was USA 2037 at Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD. Only one set of trucks was converted, while the other remained friction. When the locomotive was transferred to Navy ownership and shipped to the naval base at Indian Head, MD, a few years ago, a substitute set of trucks was placed under it to temporarily replace the friction bearing trucks. The Navy never used the locomotive, and in December the Navy sold it via DRMO to Rail Trusts, Inc., of Jacksonville, FL. The current plan is to lift it via crane onto a truck and transport it to Waldorf, MD, to set on CSX rails (no doubt with a substitute set of trucks again) for shipment to the company's shop in GA. This is to take place within the next couple of weeks. At the same time, USN 65-00307, which was also sold in December (but to a different buyer) is to be loaded onto a truck and carried all the way to Las Vegas, NV.

Two summers ago the other SW8 at APG was acquired by the CA State Railroad Museum. A picture appeared in Railpace magazine of the locomotive loaded aboard a flat car enroute from MD to CA.