Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#321610  by doepack

Departs CUS at 1717, express to Schaumburg, train was double-headed with 10 cars. I've never seen 10-car trains on this route before, is this a new thing?

#321650  by metraRI

It was reported last week I believe that MD-W had a 10 car set... look under bilevel changes.

#321819  by doepack

Found AMTK84's post on that subject in the bilevel changes thread (thought I saw that somewhere). Thanks for the reminder...

#336062  by doepack

Saw this train again today, with it's normal F40 doubleheader (didn't get the unit numbers). But I wonder why this train doesn't rate an MP for power, especially since it's a 10-car rush hour express train. It's strange how the Rock and the Burlington run the newer power on the longer rush hour trains, even though fewer of them are assigned there, while they don't seem to be as common on rush hour trains on the Milwaukee lines, yet they're frequently seen on those routes pulling shorter, 5-6 car trains. Weird...

#336411  by F40CFan

I believe its due fuel tank size and how the train is used. If it makes numerous trips, regardless of how long the train is, it gets a unit with a bigger fuel tank. The F40Cs were used the same way as they had huge fuel tanks. I think Bones explained this in another thread.

Or there's my personal favorite theory; they want the longer expresses to get to their destination w/o breaking down. :P

#336542  by doepack

F40CFan wrote:I believe its due fuel tank size and how the train is used. If it makes numerous trips, regardless of how long the train is, it gets a unit with a bigger fuel tank. The F40Cs were used the same way as they had huge fuel tanks. I think Bones explained this in another thread
I keep forgetting about that; he sure did, and I dug through the archives to find it. Thanks for the reminder...

#336545  by metraRI

I can't speak in the case of 2237, but for RI's 10 car set, #409, the power will very from day to day, including F40's. The only exception is on Friday, when there will be an MP36 leading because the train is used multiple times on the weekend.