Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#333028  by doepack

Summit is the first outbound stop on the HC line, and is also an Amtrak station, about 5 mi N/NE of Willow Springs. Don't know much about the area in terms of safety, although it appears to be a small bedroom community surrounded by light industry...

#333142  by jg greenwood

doepack wrote:Summit is the first outbound stop on the HC line, and is also an Amtrak station, about 5 mi N/NE of Willow Springs. Don't know much about the area in terms of safety, although it appears to be a small bedroom community surrounded by light industry...
Might this be the first station east/northeast of the semaphores @ Brighton Park/Panhandle?

#333210  by Tadman

Yeah, it's the first stop west of the semaphores. If you ride the train outbound, it will cruise between 20 and 40mph and then will come to a stop. That's the semaphores. Then the first actual station stop is Summit. I've driven the area, and I have no problems, although I've never got off the train there - I rode thru, and it didn't look too threatening. I don't recall brighton itself being that threatening, but I know a few neighborhoods away are not that cool. Check out the site below.

Good Brighton resource:
http://www.dhke.com/CRJ/brighton.html

#333222  by MetraRy

my relatives live by the summit stop.. day time railfaning is fine but i would not railfan at night there other then rushhour when theres people and poilce around the stop. brighton park can be sketchy too and prolly somewhat worse then summit. All towns after summit are safer spots

#333332  by jg greenwood

Summit would be the first stop west of the IC's Glenn yard?

#333367  by doepack

jg greenwood wrote:Summit would be the first stop west of the IC's Glenn yard?
That is correct...

#333369  by jg greenwood

doepack wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:Summit would be the first stop west of the IC's Glenn yard?
That is correct...
Thanks for the information guys. I worked in Chicago in 2000/2001. After 9/11 I was cut back to the ground for a short while. I was called to work as a flagman at Summit, wasn't sure if I my old memory was correct. :wink:

#334632  by Kablam76

Summit is going to be full of small houses and apartments with pretty much the same to the south, industry to the north and west, and Midway Airport to the east.

The lowest crime rates on the HC from lowest to highest rank something like:

Lemont
Willow Springs
Lockport
Summit
Joliet

In comparison, crime rates in Summit are about two-thirds of the national average. Joliet is slightly above the average. Lemont is something like a quarter of the national average, but you're definately not going to find home/rent prices close to that of Summit in Lemont or probably even Willow Springs.

Demographics here: http://www.city-data.com/city/Summit-Illinois.html