Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#331858  by TheGortex

Alright. I'm trying to get one last chance to see the damn things before they're gone forever, so please answer me some questions:

1. What part of the Western Ave. yard are 611, and 614 kept?

2. Are they usually easy to see from the station?

3. If not, where is the best place to get a glimpse?

4. How long is Metra planning on keeping them?

5. Because of the snow, have they been moved?

6. If so, to where?

7. If so, is the spot they've been moved to acessable (sp?) to the public?

8. Does anyone have video of them in action?

Thank you.

#332116  by Tadman

I would check youtube for videos of the C's, I think there is one.

#333871  by F40CFan

They are best seen from passing trains, as they are stored on a track next to the main lines. They can also be viewed from Grand Avenue if the yard is empty, but you would need binoculars or a telephoto lens to get a good view.

#333985  by TheGortex

I couldn't find any videos on Youtube.

#334017  by F40CFan

Try this link. I could only get one of them to run.

http://members.trainorders.com/meh/f40c/

#334048  by MikeF

If all you want to do is see them, go by the Western Avenue yard on Grand Avenue some day when it's fairly empty and drive into the employee parking lot on the west side of the diesel shop building. You can drive right up to the fence along the yard tracks and get a pretty good view of the C's. Don't sit there and foam at the mouth or photograph them too long or you're likely to have Metra cops visiting you.

I wouldn't be too worried about them disappearing right away, and there is a good chance there will be a farewell fantrip before they are permanently retired. After that, you'll be able to pet at least one of them in captivity at IRM.

#334052  by TheGortex

So one of them is going to go to the IRM?