Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#327823  by Tadman

I know Harris is trying to reactivate the NS trackage, and I think he intends to run airport-ND shuttles - over on the MARC forum they are discussing how MDOT is trying to unload some RDC's to a charitable concern - might this be easier than stringing wire and running 1500vdc MU's on his route, at least initially? Check the RDC thread on the MARC forum for background, specifically the last few posts.

#327944  by dinwitty

I think bob has posted on this forum and surely he reads it from time to time.

it a curious thought, but consider rehabilitation of those cars and the work already done on the south shore units, if I had to make such a decision, I would weigh in the readyness of putting up wire versus rehabilitation of the cars.

If you ask me, if there is abestos in the cars, thats a real no go running for them. I helped refurbish NKP 765 and we removed all the abestos lagging and replaced with a non-abestos lag.
That was fun, pouring into wheelbarrows and mixing water and slapping it on the boiler. :-D