Railroad Forums 

• Otis Air Force Base - Massachusetts

• A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads
A general discussion about shortlines, industrials, and military railroads

Moderator: Aa3rt

#311271  by BCLRConductor

Anyone know if Otis AFB ever had any locomotives?

The RR I work for heads their twice a day picking up refuge from the Otis transfer station then hauling it to Rochester Mass.

Thiers about 6 tracks that I'm aware of on the base most out of service. Appears to have been a Water tank for Steam Locomotives years ago in one spot and varoius unloading zones.

I was told the base was heavily used in WWII which dosen't suprise me.

Any interesting tid bits welcome on this subject. :wink:

#311278  by BCLRConductor

It was Camp Edwards during WWII... forgot to mention that...

#311282  by BCLRConductor

If interested you can see the tracks by going to google maps and look up

158 Reilly St, Buzzards Bay, MA

Interesting when you view it in Sat. Picture mode.
 #311412  by theinsider

BCLRConductor wrote:Anyone know if Otis AFB ever had any locomotives?

The RR I work for heads their twice a day picking up refuge from the Otis transfer station then hauling it to Rochester Mass.

Thiers about 6 tracks that I'm aware of on the base most out of service. Appears to have been a Water tank for Steam Locomotives years ago in one spot and varoius unloading zones.

I was told the base was heavily used in WWII which dosen't suprise me.

Any interesting tid bits welcome on this subject. :wink:
There is a book called Cape Cod Railroads by Robert Farson that I have seen available in quite a few bookstores on the Cape. Amazon also has it listed. I am sure that would have anything listed in there. I have skimmed it, but can't remember seeing anything listed about it. Though I do remember reading the they did have troop trains down there. Thought those could have been run by the New Haven. Wish I could have been of more help.
 #312525  by RailVet

"Allied Military Locomotives of the Second World War" by R. Tourret lists USA 7578, a Plymouth built in 1942, serial number 4446, as being located at Camp Edwards during WW II.

44T

#326953  by GP40MC1118

The last unit to serve at Otis AFB was 44T USAF 1245, which was sold to the Bay Colony as their 412.

The 412 was sold to the SRNJ.

Dave