Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#321145  by AArnett

What are usually the busiest trains on the Wednesday Before Thanksgiving? (I rode Train 109 on it last year and it was wall to wall standing!)

Also, what tends to be the busiest trains on the Friday after Thanksgiving?

And, what is the busiest train on the Sunday after Thanksgiving?

Thanks!

#321193  by Tadman

I usually bring it in on what was #12, I think it's #10 now. That's always packed. I usually leave on what was #19, I have no idea if it's still #19. If I stick around for dinner I take a later train which is not quite as packed. Other than the late evening trains, plan on masses of humanity, and the accompanying probs - late trains, funked up toilets, lack of drinking water, overtaxed crews. I'm not complaining, but you should be aware and ready. Black friday is a heavy day for the Shore.

I will likely be inbound Friday AM, or at least some time prior to the 3:15 departure of Amtrak #3 I'm taking back to Kansas.

#321260  by PRRGuy

There is no train 10..What train do you think you might be on? I know I'll be out there somewhere on Thanksgiving.

#321275  by Tadman

Sorry, the train I was thinking of is now #14 (and has been since like 1998). I just don't have the schedule memorized like I did when I was 15. If I don't make #14 for one reason or another, I'll be on #18.

I was going to be on the 5:15 outbound for SB on tuesday, but it looks like I will be riding in a Chevy instead.