Railroad Forums 

• F69PH-ACs

• Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.
Discussion of Electro-Motive locomotive products and technology, past and present. Official web site can be found here: http://www.emdiesels.com/.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#11304  by Allen Hazen

It was the ICE train that the F69s were used on. The German ICE ("Inter City Express" -- name chosen at a time when English was a fashionable language in Germany!) have Siemens electrical gear, and the F69 were repainted with Siemens's name on them for this tour.
--
Jay Street connecting #4, blt. 1918, was a flop: it used a GE-designed diesel engine of startling unreliability (mean time between failures apparently only a few hours). It WAS the first diesel electric sold to an American railroad that was part of the national network, but it was returned to the builder as unsatisfactory very soon. On the other hand, the GE-IR-Alco boxcabs -- of which CNJ #1000 (built 1925; test/demonstrator unit 8835 built 1923) was the first sold-- belongs on anyone's short list of most influential diesel electric locomotives. Among other things, the research into control systems that GE put into its development in the early 1920s was also put to work in GE's business of supplying electrical equipment for Electromotive's gas-electric cars: the same GE project, in other words, gave both EMD and ALCO their start in the diesel locomotive business!
(I'll shut up, now. It's not polite of a GE fan to make so much noise on the EMD forum!)

#11328  by EDM5970

I was going to look up Jay Street #4 this morning, but Allen beat me to it, thanks! First diesel-electric sold vs. commercially successfull (sold and kept). Huge difference there, to say the least.

#11380  by BN7151

Allen Hazen wrote:Jay Street connecting #4, blt. 1918, was a flop.
I know Jay Street No. 4 was not the greatest locomotive ever, but it was the first commercially available diesel-electric locomotive. Perhaps a better comparison would be FT 103 or perhaps the 1923 boxcabs. My logic is horrible, ain't it?

#26017  by Joe

Yes, your logic is horrible. I say we send one to a train museum. That way they could run it and it would make sense. Most people obviously think it doesn't belong at the Smithsonian...