• Official Rahway Valley Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by crnrailal

The tractor was gone tonight from what I could see but there appeared to have some of the brush cleared away.

Will keep posted if I spot anything.

by cjl330

I did not see the tractor when I went by tonight. I can report that the trees on the right of way are being cut down between Meisel Ave., and the Temple, in Springfield. The "brush" hasn't been touched yet, but all of the trees are being cut down.

by Jtgshu

I glaced over while passing through Summit (westbound unfortunately, eastboudn would have given a better view) to see the RVRR ROW cleared of the major growth trees - it looks great! As mentioned above, the brush didn't look to be cleared much yet, but there were a LOT of trees removed, and there was LOTS of mulch from those trees on just the little section I could see opposite the car dealer. It was a great sight to see!!!

by rvrrhs

njt4172 wrote:It just goes to show that NIMBYS hate any mass of metal that disturbs the peace.. It is not just trains, but all forms of transportation!! Nothing can please them!
I'm gonna guess that doesn't include full-size SUVs. Those same NIMBY's sure can't live without those massive Expeditions and Escalades, etc., when they need to run down to the 7-11.

by njt4172

rvrrhs wrote:
njt4172 wrote:It just goes to show that NIMBYS hate any mass of metal that disturbs the peace.. It is not just trains, but all forms of transportation!! Nothing can please them!
I'm gonna guess that doesn't include full-size SUVs. Those same NIMBY's sure can't live without those massive Expeditions and Escalades, etc., when they need to run down to the 7-11.
Alan,

Well, if they are sitting comfortably behind the wheel then of course not!!
  by rvrrhs

njt4172 wrote: It is also possible that this tractor could have nothing to do with the reactivation of the line......! Anyone know for sure why it is there??
I pass that spot weekly...

That spot at Baltusrol below I-78 is where a house painter/wallpaperer (who lives down the street) uses part of the ROW as his business driveway. He cleared about 150-200 feet of the ROW, dropped gravel down, and charged people to park there for that PGA event at Baltusrol Golf Club last summer.

I'm guessing the tractor (or whatever it was) was rented by him for his painting/papering business, and he just parked it there like he parks his van.

by rvrrhs

njt4172 wrote:
rvrrhs wrote:
Alan,

Well, if they are sitting comfortably behind the wheel then of course not!!
So they actually want to be captain of the Titanic?

by cjl330

I decided to check out the Rahway Valley today, 5/14. The tree cutting has continued on the right of way. Most of the bigger trees that were growing on the track or interfering with the right of way have been cut down in Springfield and Summit. There are still a few spots that haven't been done yet, but it appears the work has been progressing.

by Sirsonic

As this work has been focused on larger trees, and not on actual brush blocking the ROW, and judging by what I have seen in Summit, I believe this work is being done to remove trees that present a hazard to the power lines run along the RV ROW.

by CNJFAN

Then I guess it's safe to assume that work has resumed and is no longer stalled on this line??

by Sirsonic

CNJFAN wrote:Then I guess it's safe to assume that work has resumed and is no longer stalled on this line??
Dont hold you breath on that one...

by Jtgshu

Ah..........that makes sense - well, hey, if htats the case, the MandE even if they have a few dollars left stashed away for finishing up the RVRR to Summit, it would be a good idea to let the power company clear the large brush and trees first, then come in later on and finish up with the smaller stuff.

Down here in Central Jersey, JCPL was doing that last summer, and it was very interesting to see how much overgrowth there was around some lines, and its very obvious on teh old Delaware adn Raritan Bay mainline between Red Bank and Belford, the route of high tension lines. They cut back so much and so wide, that if a railroad wanted to, they probably could come in and lay tracks right next to the poles! LOTS of old ROWs were opened back up - its wierd to see in some places

Hey let the power company clear the ROW on ther dime!

by Tri-State Tom

Jt -

" ....well, hey, if htats the case, the MandE even if they have a few dollars left stashed away for finishing up the RVRR to Summit,...."

Correct me if I've missed something along the way on this topic but the Morristown & Erie is the rail contractor/operator with the money to rehab the line coming from federal/state grants/appropreations to the county commissions, no ?

by njt4172

Tri-State Tom wrote:Jt -

" ....well, hey, if htats the case, the MandE even if they have a few dollars left stashed away for finishing up the RVRR to Summit,...."

Correct me if I've missed something along the way on this topic but the Morristown & Erie is the rail contractor/operator with the money to rehab the line coming from federal/state grants/appropreations to the county commissions, no ?
Tom,

Yes, you are correct.. I think the NJDOT supplied Union County with the money who would then supply it to M&E to finish the project... However I don't think they have enough money yet to complete the Rahway Valley... Like Sirsonic said.. "Don't hold your breath"

Steve

by Ken W2KB

Jtgshu wrote:Here in Central Jersey, JCPL was doing that last summer, and it was very interesting to see how much overgrowth there was around some lines, and its very obvious on teh old Delaware adn Raritan Bay mainline between Red Bank and Belford, the route of high tension lines. They cut back so much and so wide, that if a railroad wanted to, they probably could come in and lay tracks right next to the poles! LOTS of old ROWs were opened back up - its wierd to see in some places

Hey let the power company clear the ROW on ther dime!
One of the major causes of the August 2003 and some other blackouts in the west a few years ago was a tree contacting a transmission line. All transmission owners have to comply with vegetation management standards: ftp://www.nerc.com/pub/sys/all_updl/sta ... -003-1.pdf

>>>Hey let the power company clear the ROW on ther dime!<<<

Unless you use kerosene lamps or make your own power, in the end, it's your dime. :wink: