• Official Rahway Valley Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by Tri-State Tom

Lost the link but last week someone told me those NIMBYS who run that 'Stop the train' website had a 'report' on there about the new Boonton yard prep work being 'evidence' that the Morristown & Erie is gearing up freight operations intended for the RVRR !

BTW, their periodic video journalistic special reports on cable t.v. are really quite humorous and entertaining. For instance, last time I caught it I learned for the first time that lengthy 'thru' freight trains will run from Summit out to Bernardsville 'and beyond'.

Very educational....better than watching cartoons on a Saturday morning.

by Ken W2KB

Tri-State Tom wrote:Lost the link but last week someone told me those NIMBYS who run that 'Stop the train' website had a 'report' on there about the new Boonton yard prep work being 'evidence' that the Morristown & Erie is gearing up freight operations intended for the RVRR !

BTW, their periodic video journalistic special reports on cable t.v. are really quite humorous and entertaining. For instance, last time I caught it I learned for the first time that lengthy 'thru' freight trains will run from Summit out to Bernardsville 'and beyond'.

Not unlike some of the current Solberg Airport nimbys in Readington that claim 757s, DC10s, etc. are poised to divert there from Newark if the Solberg runway is extended.

by Steve F45

Ken W2KB wrote:
Tri-State Tom wrote:Lost the link but last week someone told me those NIMBYS who run that 'Stop the train' website had a 'report' on there about the new Boonton yard prep work being 'evidence' that the Morristown & Erie is gearing up freight operations intended for the RVRR !

Not unlike some of the current Solberg Airport nimbys in Readington that claim 757s, DC10s, etc. are poised to divert there from Newark if the Solberg runway is extended.
Samething with people around teterboro airport by me, they swear it's going to turn into the next nkw/jfk/lga with airbuses landing here too.

by njt4172

Hate to keep going off topic, but the same thing goes for the NIMBYS surrounding Morristown airport. I don't know if any of you remember when the corporate 737's and 727's were landing at MMU, but back in the late 1980's and early 90's the residents of Whippany and Morris Township were up in arms at the increased large jet activity!! It just goes to show that NIMBYS hate any mass of metal that disturbs the peace.. It is not just trains, but all forms of transportation!! Nothing can please them!

by Steve F45

Dam nimby's. What's next banning bicycles on sidewalks?

by njt4172

2005Vdub wrote:Dam nimby's. What's next banning bicycles on sidewalks?

:wink: Hehehe, no they are ok cause they don't make much noise and don't cause air or light pollution....

by Steve F45

njt4172 wrote:

:wink: Hehehe, no they are ok cause they don't make much noise and don't cause air or light pollution....
the nimby's will find something wrong, cry all day long they do. wahhhhhh

by Ken W2KB

Bicycles have been banned from sidewalks in New Jersey since at least 1951. NJSA 39:4-14.1 requires bicycles to observe all motor vehicle laws except those by their nature that can have no application. (e.g., minimum speed laws)

NJSA 39:4-71 prohibits vehicles and horses from being driven on a sidewalk except to cross the sidewalk (e.g., driveway access).

by Steve F45

Ken W2KB wrote:
Bicycles have been banned from sidewalks in New Jersey since at least 1951. NJSA 39:4-14.1 requires bicycles to observe all motor vehicle laws except those by their nature that can have no application. (e.g., minimum speed laws)

NJSA 39:4-71 prohibits vehicles and horses from being driven on a sidewalk except to cross the sidewalk (e.g., driveway access).
there you go, proof the nimby's will be screaming at kids during the summer :P

by Al Holleuffer

I haven't seen anyone post about the RVRR rehab much lately but I noticed last week leaving Summit that all the brush and many trees have been cleared from the right-of-way right up to the missing bridge by the interchange with NJT.

I know exactly why the Boonton Yard is being cleared but have not been given the OK by one of the two sources who told me to post it. I will tell you that it has absolutely nothing to do with any new NS customer nor anything remotely connected with M&E's reactivation of the Rahway Valley RR.

by Sir Ray

Al Holleuffer wrote:I know exactly why the Boonton Yard is being cleared but have not been given the OK by one of the two sources who told me to post it. I will tell you that it has absolutely nothing to do with any new NS customer nor anything remotely connected with M&E's reactivation of the Rahway Valley RR.
Well, OK, but did you tell us if it's railroad related (as opposed to a new Home Depot/strip mall or something?)

by Sirsonic

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24271

The cats already out of the bag...

by Steve F45

How can you get to the boonton yard from lets say rt.80? Any idea on when the work will be completed?
  by crnrailal

Al Holleuffer wrote:I haven't seen anyone post about the RVRR rehab much lately but I noticed last week leaving Summit that all the brush and many trees have been cleared from the right-of-way right up to the missing bridge by the interchange with NJT.

I know exactly why the Boonton Yard is being cleared but have not been given the OK by one of the two sources who told me to post it. I will tell you that it has absolutely nothing to do with any new NS customer nor anything remotely connected with M&E's reactivation of the Rahway Valley RR.
There is a tractor on the ROW off Baltustrol Way in Springfield across from the entrance to Troy Village just before you go under Route 78. It's been there about 1 week, hopefully it's to start clearing the ROW.

Will keep you posted, I go that way twice a day.
  by njt4172

crnrailal wrote:
Al Holleuffer wrote:I haven't seen anyone post about the RVRR rehab much lately but I noticed last week leaving Summit that all the brush and many trees have been cleared from the right-of-way right up to the missing bridge by the interchange with NJT.

There is a tractor on the ROW off Baltustrol Way in Springfield across from the entrance to Troy Village just before you go under Route 78. It's been there about 1 week, hopefully it's to start clearing the ROW.

Will keep you posted, I go that way twice a day.

It is also possible that this tractor could have nothing to do with the reactivation of the line......! Anyone know for sure why it is there??