• Official Rahway Valley Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by norbkowa

nothing right now no work is done there and everything is put to stop at this moment.

by CJPat

Norbkowa - I was sorry to see your website expire. You had done an excellent job documenting the redevelopment of the RVRR. The photos were excellent.

by rvrrhs

Hey, Norbi. Did you move your Web site to another host? If it's still active, what's the correct URL?

by norbkowa

I will later move it to comcast website but right now i dont have it anywhere but when i move it to new server i will let you guys know.

by CNJFAN

So is the RVRR project dead for good or is it only a temporary stall waiting for more money?
Also, when is the Sirt starting up?
Other than the new signals, it seems to be all finished...

by Sirsonic

The RV is dead until a new source of funding is found. So far Union County, New Jersey and The Port Authority have all been approached, and maybe others, and all have declined to provide any funds. There are unfounded rumors of other possible sources, but as with so much else on this project, I will believe it when I see it.

The SIRY is complete, except for grade crossing signals, which may or may not be coming. Right now the west end of the line is being used for storing cars. There is no through traffic, and other than Bayway, no customers.
  by Don Maxton

Funds to continue reconstruction on the RVRR will be found. I'm sure that the need for additional money was recognized from the start. None of the parties involved would have taken the project this far if there was no possibility of completing the job.
  by njt4172

Don Maxton wrote:Funds to continue reconstruction on the RVRR will be found. I'm sure that the need for additional money was recognized from the start. None of the parties involved would have taken the project this far if there was no possibility of completing the job.
Don,

I wouldn't hold your breath on that!!! This state has amazed me in more ways then one when it comes to projects like this..........

Steve
  by Douglas John Bowen

While Rahway Valley railroad-related physical goings-on may be limited or non-existent, such is not the case in the political world, some of which NJ-ARP has some access to and/or glimpses of.

We don't mean to sound mysterious or (worse) all-knowing. But we've seen some shifts in political appointments, at the local, county, and state level, which suggest that matters may once again advance, if only at a maddeningly slow pace.

Beyond that, NJDOT officials keep assuring us that various grade-crossing projects related to the Rahway Valley -- both the ex-SIRT and the "true" Rahway Valley right-of-way -- remain in place and will be implemented. Regardless of the larger political ramifications, the recent continuation of the Transportation Trust Fund is cited as the source for such future activity.
Last edited by Douglas John Bowen on Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Sirsonic

The funding provided was intended to be sufficent to complete the project from Bayway to Cranford, and Cranford to the Rahway River bridge. No further work was planned as part of this project (Summit to the Rahway River). Somewhere along the way, common belief became that the work would extend all the way to Summit. When I pointed out the requirements of the Union County/M&E agreement that stipulate a further agreement be reached before the Summit portion be activated, I was told an agreement was in place. When I pointed out there would be no money to rehabilitate that section, I was told that, according to Morristown, because the SIRY was in better shape than expected (or something to that extent) the money saved from that would be used to fund the project to Summit. This whole discussion took place on this forum, or perhaps a previous version of it. Regardless, the funds provided should have been sufficent to complete the project.
  by Douglas John Bowen

"Common belief" certainly can lead people astray. Sirsonic certainly is right to caution against it. And we at NJ-ARP certainly try to guard against it.

We offer our latest political update in the same spirit.

by BlockLine_4111

Would a back-up move be required to go from Summit to Bayway if it ever became possible? I am not all familiar with the trackage in Union Co.

by Sirsonic

At present, if the RV trackage were to be reconnected to the Raritan Line, a train coming off the RV would have to run down the Raritan Line to Clark Interlocking (Westfield) to cross over from track 1 to the Conrail Garwood Industrial. They would then have to reverse from Westfield to the SIRY at Cranford. This would involve a shove of a couple miles, give or take.

by CNJFAN

From what I heard recently construction work on the RVRR is still stalled.
Anyone know when it may resume?
I know that money has been an issue lately.

by njt4172

CNJFAN wrote:From what I heard recently construction work on the RVRR is still stalled.
Anyone know when it may resume?
I know that money has been an issue lately.

That news is over a month old!! It won't resume until the NJDOT approves the $10 million more to complete the project....I don't even know if that is etched in stone! Money still has yet to be secured!