• Official Rahway Valley Thread

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

by Jtgshu

After dealing with the Jersey Shore rolling blackouts of 2000 was it?, i know ALL about the black outs! (oddly enough, much of this area down here in Monmouth County was unaffected somehow by the major blackouts in 2003) But if they were going to be clearing it anyway, why spend the states $$$$ (or Union County, or the MandE, whoevers $$$) which in the end is still my $$$$ anyway, but i can at least do something about my electric bill, which currently is about 20 dollars a month. And I am considering putting solar panels up in the not too distant future, and selling my excess energy back to the power company - so that would be my dime back in my pocket!!! :-)

and funny you mention kerosene lamps, or hurricane lamps as I have grown to know them, I do use them at times in the winter and even during other times as well. I have a LARGE container of kerosene right outside, incase I need it!

:-D :wink:

by Ken W2KB

Jtgshu wrote:After dealing with the Jersey Shore rolling blackouts of 2000 was it?, i know ALL about the black outs! (oddly enough, much of this area down here in Monmouth County was unaffected somehow by the major blackouts in 2003) But if they were going to be clearing it anyway, why spend the states $$$$ (or Union County, or the MandE, whoevers $$$) which in the end is still my $$$$ anyway, but i can at least do something about my electric bill, which currently is about 20 dollars a month. And I am considering putting solar panels up in the not too distant future, and selling my excess energy back to the power company - so that would be my dime back in my pocket!!! :-)

and funny you mention kerosene lamps, or hurricane lamps as I have grown to know them, I do use them at times in the winter and even during other times as well. I have a LARGE container of kerosene right outside, incase I need it!

:-D :wink:
I've got a generator and kerosene lamps and JCP&L "encourages" me to use them 3 or 4 times a year. :wink: The 2003 cascading blackout was stopped by the PJM Regional Transmission Operator just west of New York City as it had the information and control system to do what was necesary. That was lacking in the Midwest where it started.

The shore rotating blackouts were largely the result of NIMBY's opposing reinforcement of the utility distribution system.

Solar in NJ is heavily subsidized by taxpayer and other utility customer money in NJ or else it would be highly uneconomic. Same for windmills.

by CRB

Ken W2KB wrote: The 2003 cascading blackout was stopped by the PJM Regional Transmission Operator just west of New York City as it had the information and control system to do what was necesary. That was lacking in the Midwest where it started.
The real key is that PJM has enough generation capacity to operate independently. When the transmission lines tripped in the midwest, all the ISOs cut their interconnections to preserve themselves. PJM had enough power and stayed live, while NYISO was importing power from Canada so they went dark.

The moral of the story is that NIMBY means being susceptable to events like the 2003 blackout.

by RVRR Fan

Just letting you guys know that there's an article about M&E and the RVRR in today's Star Ledger. It's on page 23, or you can go here: http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/bas ... nun&coll=1

In the article, Gordon Fuller states that "additional funding is imminent." Unfortunately the article does not state where this funding will come from, only stating that the Port Authority was the only other agency mentioned as a source of funding, but then states that the PA has no plans to pledge any funding towards the project.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

by Tri-State Tom

**** While the M&E had to cut back on its track repair crews, overall business has actually gotten better, due in part to rising gasoline prices.

"Fortunately, business is up everywhere," Fuller said. Four months ago, the M&E was delivering eight to 10 cars a week to the Toys 'R' Us facility in Flanders. It's now up to 25 to 30 cars a week, Fuller said.

Because the regional distribution center receives goods from fairly distant locations, such as Texas and California, it has been cheaper to ship the goods by rail rather than by tractor-trailer.

Even a Kenvil lumber company that hadn't had a delivery by rail in eight months was back to using the M&E's services.

"We're up across the board in everything," Fuller said. ****

Well that's good news !!

by njt4172

Trainlawyer wrote:I suppose the funding is as imminent as the movement of the F-40s to Metro North. I note that business is not up to the point where Mr. Fuller is willing to expend some of the railroad’s money on the Rahway Valley.

Unfortunately this tends to support my original belief that there was no econmic justification for the original project.

GME

Trainlawyer,

I said it before and I'll say it again!! Why are you so against Morristown & Erie?? Have you had some sort of personal vendetta against the management or Gordon Fuller? How would you feel it it was NYSW or NY&GL operating the line instead of the M&E?????

by Tri-State Tom

Trainlawyer -

Never have directly addressed you before now. Have followed/read your previous posts on other threads and while I didn't always agree with you, my impression was you were an intelligent individual who at least made the effort to present - and you'll pardon the pun - a case for your posted positions.

Now, this verbage you've posted here plus the similar comment in the other forum is atypical of you.

" I suppose the funding is as imminent as the movement of the F-40s to Metro North. "

The relevance of this comment to this subject thread escapes me.

FWIW to you, MetroNorth came to Morristown and inspected the F40's a few weeks ago. There's a post somewhere here ( engine thread ? ) authored by me about watching the evaluation one afternoon. Don't know the status of the deal today. Your comment suggests it was a quasi fairytale....it wasn't/isn't.

" I note that business is not up to the point where Mr. Fuller is willing to expend some of the railroad’s money on the Rahway Valley. "

I'm assuming on further review you'd prefer to erase this comment since it is extremely juvenile and suggests you're not as business savvy as one would expect from an individual in your purported profession.

" Unfortunately this tends to support my original belief that there was no econmic justification for the original project. "

Unfortunately, it's painfully obvious that all this ridiculous comment does is make you appear even more juvenile and wet behind the ears biz savvy wize than after the first comment. You've presented yourself as an experienced, veteran jurist here. Do you honestly believe that the Morristown & Erie would involve itself with a project like this knowing ahead of time that there was little or nill economic benefit to be had for them upon completion ?

Instead of 'beliefs', why don't you contact the appropriate county authorties to garner their take on the economic benefits of restoring these lines to service ? I'm pretty confident that they had to lay that out pretty extensively to the state/feds to warrant the $$$ advances.

carry on.

by njt4172

Mr Tri-State,

Couldn't agree with you more on your last statement! Many Kudos! :-D :wink:

by Ken W2KB

Tri-State Tom wrote: Do you honestly believe that the Morristown & Erie would involve itself with a project like this knowing ahead of time that there was little or nill economic benefit to be had for them upon completion ?
My answer would be no, in part, but the benefit upon completion may be purely for M&E RR, as has been postulated here that M&E seeks a short cut route to the refurbished SI rail line. Any on-line business would be icing on the cake for M&E.

Secondly, and yes in part, not knowing the terms of the contract for M&E RR to restore the line, it may be that M&E realizes a fee as general contractor which in and of itself makes business sense for it to perform the work even if a train never operates over the line. It is always easiest to spend someone else's money rather than one's own.

Much of the arguments and posturing here is largely due to the speculation over the facts and/or studies underlying the desisions of each of the parties, and depending on any number of sets of reasonable assumptions, each of us may be right in our thoughts.

In truth, only time will tell what value the restoration will bring, whether a directly financial in a business sense, or related to externalities such as reduced truck traffic, air quality, and so forth.

by rvrrhs

We've all got to remember: it has been stated many times, including in the Star-Ledger, that M&E was hired to rehabilitate these lines (RV & SIRR).

For those who have read the rehab contract and related documents: Do their agreements with the county explicitly state that they will also operate them upon completion? Or would that require some other sort of contract in the future? (I don't suppose M&E would have gotten into this just for the rehab business.)

There's great potential for customers on the RV, mainly at the midpoint...the wye in Union. Once the additional funding--be it TTF, Union County $$, or Port Auth.--is found, we'll have to wait and see.

by njt4172

rvrrhs wrote:We've all got to remember: it has been stated many times, including in the Star-Ledger, that M&E was hired to rehabilitate these lines (RV & SIRR).

For those who have read the rehab contract and related documents: Do their agreements with the county explicitly state that they will also operate them upon completion? Or would that require some other sort of contract in the future? (I don't suppose M&E would have gotten into this just for the rehab business.)

There's great potential for customers on the RV, mainly at the midpoint...the wye in Union. Once the additional funding--be it TTF, Union County $$, or Port Auth.--is found, we'll have to wait and see.
I also have been reiterating those same points about potential customers, but people like Trainlawyer and a few others are still thinking that the potential won't be there~! With gas prices the way they are, rates increasing, and local restriction of truckers operating on certain roads I would think customers would be interested in switching to rail service....

by Ken W2KB

njt4172 wrote:
rvrrhs wrote:local restriction of truckers operating on certain roads I would think customers would be interested in switching to rail service....
Any local restrictions on truck use of roads have to be reasonable and not unduly restrictive to pass Constitutional muster. Can't stop truck deliveries to any entity in any event.

by Sirsonic

Tri-State Tom wrote:Trainlawyer -

Never have directly addressed you before now. Have followed/read your previous posts on other threads and while I didn't always agree with you, my impression was you were an intelligent individual who at least made the effort to present - and you'll pardon the pun - a case for your posted positions.

Now, this verbage you've posted here plus the similar comment in the other forum is atypical of you.

" I suppose the funding is as imminent as the movement of the F-40s to Metro North. "

The relevance of this comment to this subject thread escapes me.

FWIW to you, MetroNorth came to Morristown and inspected the F40's a few weeks ago. There's a post somewhere here ( engine thread ? ) authored by me about watching the evaluation one afternoon. Don't know the status of the deal today. Your comment suggests it was a quasi fairytale....it wasn't/isn't.
Who from Metro-North (ie, what was their title. They may have worked for MN but not represented them) came to Morristown, and how do you know they were from MN? I imagine you spoke to this person/people which is how you know they were from MN. Regardless, this rumor has been circulating for probably about a year now, and nothing has come of it. Morristown continues to maintain that MN will be leasing these locomotives but no movement in that direction has occurred. A MN employee who visits this site has said several times that the chief mechanical officer at MN has no knowledge of any deal for them to lease those locomotives. Meanwhile, several of the FH's, which these locomotives are supposed to replace while they are out for rebuilding, have already left the property, and I believe one has already been returned.
" I note that business is not up to the point where Mr. Fuller is willing to expend some of the railroad’s money on the Rahway Valley. "

I'm assuming on further review you'd prefer to erase this comment since it is extremely juvenile and suggests you're not as business savvy as one would expect from an individual in your purported profession.
I do not see how this is a "juvenile" statement. It is a opinion, that I happen to share. If the M&E is doing so well, and the RV is so important to them, why not spend their own money to continue the project? How much would it cost to simply connect the RV to the Raritan Line interchange? There is not much work left to be done to accomplish that. This would allow access to the "customers" they desire to serve. Once funding comes through, they could simply request payment for the work performed while waiting for further funds. I don't see why Union County would object, they get a cut of the profits from the operation of the line.
" Unfortunately this tends to support my original belief that there was no economic justification for the original project. "

Unfortunately, it's painfully obvious that all this ridiculous comment does is make you appear even more juvenile and wet behind the ears biz savvy wize than after the first comment. You've presented yourself as an experienced, veteran jurist here. Do you honestly believe that the Morristown & Erie would involve itself with a project like this knowing ahead of time that there was little or nill economic benefit to be had for them upon completion ?

Instead of 'beliefs', why don't you contact the appropriate county authorties to garner their take on the economic benefits of restoring these lines to service ? I'm pretty confident that they had to lay that out pretty extensively to the state/feds to warrant the $$$ advances.

carry on.
Again, I don't see how this is juvenile. It is another statement of opinion, a well formed opinion I agree with. You are making assumptions that the M&E has invested a significant amount in this project, with absolutely no basis in fact. Maybe they simply saw this as a way to get locomotives from Bayway to Morristown, or mis-judged the potential of the line. There is as much evidence to support that conclusion as yours. There is no evidence anywhere that the M&E had to lay out any funds of their own to secure this contract to operate these rail lines. If then, they have invested no funds of their own, and no traffic results from the restoration of service, what has the M&E lost? If they have made no investment of their own, then they have no downside. If traffic is generated on the RV, they get the revenues, less Union Counties cut. If no traffic is generated, then they have a unused rail line that a new customer may choose to use in the future. If there is no traffic on the RV, then only the taxpayers have lost anything, as they have put forth the money for this project. I apologize for answering for Trainlawyer, but I share the same opinion as him on this subject, and felt the need to throw my two cents in.

A couple quick points. First, why have customer sidings been built as work progressed along the line? It is easier to build in a switch as they worked along, even if they did not build the actual siding, now, rather than trying to install one later. Second, not all of the employee laid off by the M&E were track dept employees related to the reconstruction of the RV. Some were mechanical employees from Morristown. How do I know this? A friend of mine who used to work for the M&E and remains in touch with several current M&E employees.

Finally, the M&E contract with Union County is to rehabilitate and operate the SIRY and RV, as stipulated in the agreement. The agreement has a term of 10 years, with the option for two 5 year extensions.

by Tri-State Tom

Sir -

First, here's a copy of my post on the 'engine' thread here....the date was March 10, 2006.

" Maine Eastern F40 #265 got a vigorous static work-out in Morristown this afternoon for an inspector from MetroNorth. Quite a show with the unit being revved-up from idle to full throttle several times over 30 minutes or so. She seemed to be smokin' quite a bit out the exhaust at first but settled down by the end of the session. "

Now, to your questions/comments....

" Who from Metro-North (ie, what was their title. They may have worked for MN but not represented them) came to Morristown, and how do you know they were from MN? I imagine you spoke to this person/people which is how you know they were from MN. "

I have no idea as to the gent's name, MetroNorth 'title', whether he was an employee or whether he was an intermediary, representative or acting as agent. He was simply identified to me as - and I quote - " a MetroNorth guy " that afternoon by a senior individual of the Morristown & Erie as we watched the F40 be worked out for about 45 minutes.

" Regardless, this rumor has been circulating for probably about a year now, and nothing has come of it. "

So ? Is there some sorta 'clock' ticking or some expiration date on this ? Personally, I haven't a clue when a rumor started or who started it and frankly, while some apparantly like to keep track of this sorta stuff, I generally don't.

" Morristown continues to maintain that MN will be leasing these locomotives but no movement in that direction has occurred. "

Back to you....Who in Morristown ? Have you asked why no movement has occured to date ?

" A MN employee who visits this site has said several times that the chief mechanical officer at MN has no knowledge of any deal for them to lease those locomotives. "

Beats me....have no clue 1) Why he wouldn't know, 2) Why he might be kept in the dark by his bosses, 3) Why he would fib about knowing or 4) Why this would be a secret or a 'no comment' subject at MetroNorth.

" Meanwhile, several of the FH's, which these locomotives are supposed to replace while they are out for rebuilding, have already left the property, and I believe one has already been returned. "

You know more about this than I do.

I'm gonna stick my chin out here and hazard a guess that the F40's did not pass muster with the mystery man from MetroNorth back in March and any lease arrangement is on 'hold' pending 1) repairs and another 'shake down' show in Morristown or 2) subject to further review by MetroNorth as to if they really need these engines.

" If the M&E is doing so well, and the RV is so important to them, why not spend their own money to continue the project? How much would it cost to simply connect the RV to the Raritan Line interchange? There is not much work left to be done to accomplish that. This would allow access to the "customers" they desire to serve. Once funding comes through, they could simply request payment for the work performed while waiting for further funds. I don't see why Union County would object, they get a cut of the profits from the operation of the line. "

Just a guess but it seems to me that the M&E has already expensed $$$ by acquiring and refurbishing 2nd-hand locomotives perhaps in part in anticipation of operating these lines. I'm also assuming they've incurred some legal advice/representation expense in the contractual process prior to commencing the actual rehab work presumedly on behalf of the county authorities.

As to now - about half-way completed - suggesting the M&E opt to go perhaps 'off contract terms' and free lance some $$$ on the project, I have more questions than any intelligent answers or comments....

1) How could they do that legally ?

2) Would this initiative void the original contract ?

3) Would this initiative impune all or a major part of the remaining $$$ that are 'on request' with the feds/state authorities ?

4) Referencing comments above made by poster rvrrhs, is the M&E - BY CONTRACT - just the designated 'contractor' for the rehab work at this point - OR - is it 'in writing' that the M&E is both contractor AND the designated/appointed 'operator' of the lines both now and upon completion of the entire project ?

" You are making assumptions that the M&E has invested a significant amount in this project, with absolutely no basis in fact. "

Pardon ? I've not done so AT ALL....until this moment above as to the possible 'investment' expenses by the M&E.

" Maybe they simply saw this as a way to get locomotives from Bayway to Morristown, or mis-judged the potential of the line. There is as much evidence to support that conclusion as yours. "

What 'conclusions' have I posted ???

BTW, the Bayway angle....I'm no expert but it sure makes sense if it's a quicker/less expensive way to/from Morristown. If it's an added benefit in addition to being the designated operator of these lines by the county authorities, what's the problem ?

" There is no evidence anywhere that the M&E had to lay out any funds of their own to secure this contract to operate these rail lines. "

Well, what research/where did you go to ascertain that the M&E hasn't laid out any funds of their own ? And again I'll ask....are they now the designated operator of these lines by contractual agreement ?

" If then, they have invested no funds of their own, and no traffic results from the restoration of service, what has the M&E lost? If they have made no investment of their own, then they have no downside. "

WHEW....alot a big 'If's' !

No traffic ? None ? It's called a CONTRACT Man ! The counties would lose big time under such an apocalypse....and I'd guess some law suits would follow, don't ya think ?

" If traffic is generated on the RV, they get the revenues, less Union Counties cut. "

Yup....like the M&E's deal with Morris County, I'm assuming that's how it'll work here with a contract in place so stating.

" If there is no traffic on the RV, then only the taxpayers have lost anything, as they have put forth the money for this project. "

Yup....see above.

" I apologize for answering for Trainlawyer, but I share the same opinion as him on this subject, and felt the need to throw my two cents in. "

No apology needed from you....least of all to me.

" Finally, the M&E contract with Union County is to rehabilitate and operate the SIRY and RV, as stipulated in the agreement. The agreement has a term of 10 years, with the option for two 5 year extensions. "

Ah, wished I'd seen this above.

No offense, but have you seen the actual contractual agreement(s) - OR - spoken directly with a senior county authority AND/OR either COO Gordon Fuller or the M&E's legal councel to ascertain this ?

Thanks....as always !

by Sirsonic

The operating agreement between Union County and the M&E is attached as and exhibit to their filling with the STB in regards the restoration of service. You can read both the filling, and the attached agreement here:

http://www.stb.dot.gov/FILINGS/all.nsf/ ... 205548.pdf