Railroad Forums 

• DOBO-New Hampshire Northcoast in Lawrence on 1-12/06

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#204339  by GP40MC 1116

I was going through Lawrence this Thursday evening, and had come up to the Andover St? crossing right by the yard when the gates came down. Now i wasn't sure what was commig, so i rolled down the window and was listening to the horns, and i didn't think it was a MBCR Commuter Train going into Boston at like 9:30, 9:45, and soon enough the train came across with 2 NHN Engines.. looked like one of the Newer Geep units they have and i tihnk mabie one of the Gp-9's they have im not sure tho to be exact since it was dark. But my question is, do they pass through the area nightly or once a week?

#204636  by Dick H

DOBO generally runs four nights per week, Monday through Thursday and sometimes on Friday. Usually leaves Dover after Downeaster #685 clears around 8PM. The usual power is two GP38s, NHN 3823 and HLCX 3825. If they have more than 25 cars or so, they add the NHN 1757, a vintage GP9. During the 1990s, the NHN owned six GP9s and ran five units and 55 car trains five and sometimes six days a week to provide gravel to make cement for the "Big Dig" in Boston. Traffic these days is probably about one quarter of what it was during those years. Four of the GP9s were sold to the Adrian & Blissfield in Michigan two years ago.

Dick H.