Railroad Forums 

• Billerica - Iron Horse Park Area Questions

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#199730  by CGRLCDR

I was just looking a Iron Horse Park in Billerica, Ma with Google Earth and had a couple of questions. Just west of the park it looks like there's an abandoned ROW that joined with the mainline. Does anyone know what that ROW is and when it was abandoned. Also, just north and adjacent to the park there a pond with what looks like it might have been a canal running east-west ; it appears too straight to be a river. Is that the Middlesex Canal? Are their any other points of interest around the park that I should be looking at? I read somewhere that there's is a Superfund site in the area - my guess is that it is the lagoon just east of the park.

I don't know how to attach a postion in Google Earth, but here's the coordinates....

42 35' 16.53" and 71 15' 47.64"

#200278  by MikeB

I believe the area is the superfund sight. More directly, i have heard there is an asbestos dump on the property, also that much of the yard is contaminated with heavy metals. Lastly, yes , that's the middlesex canal of chemicals.
 #200767  by ProRail

The former location of Johns-Manville Corp. in the park is the asbestos related Superfund site. They made asbestos there back until the early 1980s. That contamination is not railroad related.

When you are looking on the map is the ROW you are looking at possibly the old Billerica & Bedford?? The B&B, while inactive for the past 2 years, has been used on occasion as a "back door" access to the park when the connection of the MBTA mainline is out of service, or if a derailment within the park would block access to the MBTA connection for an extended period of time. Last used by LO-1 in May of 2003. They derailed coming out of there, so it was decided not to use the B&B as an "escape hatch" again.