Railroad Forums 

• This could be Railtours last year!

• General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.
General discussion related to all railroad clubs, museums, tourist and scenic lines. Generally this covers museums with static displays, museums that operate excursions, scenic lines that have museums, and so on. Check out the Tourist Railway Association (TRAIN) for more information.

Moderators: rob216, Miketherailfan

#25368  by 56-57

I'm sure some of you are aware of the plight of RailTours in Jim Thorpe. The Carbon County comissioners have not renewed their contract with Railtours, and it ends the last day of 2004. I for one don't want to see them go, but only time will tell.

My first 100 or so train rides (thanks mom!) were with Railtours, I believe pulled by Hawk Mountain's RS3 1554. I remember the short time in '94 that the 1098 was running, steaming up to Hometown with the foliage trains. One of my summer jobs (many years later!) was selling food on the foliage trips, after the last run, I'd stay with the train, talking to the crew, and learning about the operation.

Seeing the F3's at the head of the train-after more than a few saturdays working on them-A hell of a good feeling!

Obviously my views is slanted, but Railtours is still an operation worth seeing and riding. There are people working on the rolling stock, making up for others' lack of attention, and the cars themselves are just as rare as on any other line. RDG Blueliners, two or three coaches off the original Reading Rambles and built in the teens and twenties. CNJ round roof 1300's, you can find Miss Liberty if you look at the right angle!

OK, so it's not like a day in New Hope, but each line is unique, and I don't think anyone wants to see another operation out of business. With some more patronage and attention, things might look brighter.

Mike

#151128  by 56-57

we're not dead...

been a year since i posted that message above. since then, we've made our last run, and the Lehigh Gorge Scenic (Reading and Northern) has begun their operations.

Railtours is still a company, still owns the same equipment up in the yard at Jim Thorpe. a few weeks ago we had one of the Reading Rambles coaches (1543) tagged with graffiti. By the next weekend we had everything taken care of. Within three weeks (hey, we're volunteers here!) we had the coach 99% complete. We've got some metal to patch, but otherwise, that car is looking very good.

Work has slowed down recently due to circumstance beyond our control, but we're doing what we can. So next time you're in the area, don't forget to see what we've got. and our website is still active also, at:

www.railtours-inc.com

Come check us out!

Micah
 #151150  by railridersrs

:(
Work on restoring the Reading Chair Car # 1543 has halted due to Reading & Northern locking out all RailTours personnel that were working on the car. They have removed the locks and replaced them with their own. They have stated that anyone caught around the RailTours equipment will be treated as Trespassers and persecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
These people, Andy Mueller & his henchmen, are not only determined to destroy an existing operation, but then turnaround and attempt to destroy all existing equipment of that operation by preventing any maintanence to be done to it.
In the post 911 era that we live in and with many of our freedoms being stripped from us, the Reading & Northern's actions are reminecent of Hitler's Storm Troopers and jack-booted SS idiots.

Kermit Geary, Jr

#177599  by rob216

Are things still running for railtours? Haven't heard anything for a while.

#177656  by railridersrs

nothing at All. Andy Mueller is stonewalling any attempt to move equipment into Jim Thorpe. Railtours aquired a BLW sw in exchange for some rdg cars that RCTHS wanted...He moved the stuff out of thorpe with great haste, but is refusing to allow the loco to be moved from Temple to Jim Thorpe. RailTours people are stll not allowed to drive in to maintain or inspect their equipment. If things do not change soon and Andy Mueller allows people back in to winterize the cars, the next stop for ALL the equipment will be Naporano Iron & Metal. Windows are being broken and RailTours staff are not allowed in to fix them. The county is as usefull as mamary glands on a BULL. They kneel down in front of Andy and say " Please.....more Vaselene."

Kermit Geary Jr

#178708  by 56-57

this passed weekend work began to equip our CNJ boxcar with interior lighting. for those that didn't know, we've got a genuine CNJ 40-footer, #23514, up in Thorpe for the past 3 decades or so... after that's done, we'll be putting lights in our RDG/D&H 50-footer... i'll be up this week cleaning in the coaches here and there. also gonna have someone cleaing out the smokebox of the 1098... lots of stuff to do, hehe...

not much else going on... the times news ran a front page article a few weeks back about an upcoming meeting between the county commissioners and the lackawanna chapter R&LHS... haven't heard a word since...

that's about it for now,

micah

#196473  by 56-57

we got our baldwin yesterday, thursday, december 15. it left temple nearly two weeks ago and spent most of that time sitting in front of the engine house in port clinton...

a big relief to see it 'home' now, where it belongs... it's new number is 14 and we have the parts for it, and the know how to get it running.

later...

micah