Railroad Forums 

• GE Plant, Everett?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#180268  by MikeB

Wasn't there also a GE Plant in Everett right over by the Mystic River served by the Saugus branch? It's currently used by bands for rehearsel space but a large protion of the complex is not used. There is a bit of trackage still visible on the outside that runs into the building. Also, a little bit on the inside including a diamond if I'm not mistaken. It's been years since I've roamed around the place.

#181313  by JacobBruce

what is a diamond I am new to this whole train thing and I am just learning the lingo

#183015  by jkrail

Hi Mike B.
You are correct, there was a GE plant in Everett Ma. that did contract work for the Air Force. My dad worked there for 25 years. They built aircraft turbines. The area is slated for redevelopment as parklands for the City of Everett.
I hope all is well!
Jerry Kelley

#183209  by Agent at Clicquot

JacobBruce wrote:what is a diamond I am new to this whole train thing and I am just learning the lingo
An at-grade crossing of at least two tracks.

Assuming a 90-degree crossing, stand at 45-degrees ... a square viewed from one of of its points ... is a diamond.

Diamonds can be at any angle, and one one track can cross two or more. Some locations had muiltiple main lines crossing multiple main line.

Diamonds with switch points (like those near the platforms at South Station) aren't diamonds but 'puzzle' or 'double slip' switches.

hth,

* JB *
 #183918  by MikeB

Go onto NERail, click on 'search' and type 'diamond.'