Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1640695  by CPF66

I think the dirty dirt clean up at Orrington may finally be over. There hasn't been any moves to or from the site since I think the end of last year. Last time I was passing through the area, the branch had a number of downed trees on it. So I am not sure if those are from a recent storm, or if the MOW dept has ended track patrols on it. They were doing a tie job on the in service section to keep it open, however they stopped at I-395 and all of the new ties from there to Holtrachem have yet to be installed.
 #1641217  by CPF66

Per a friend who lives in Mattawamkeag, CSX has been visiting landowners towards the west end of the yard trying to get them to sellout, most likely for a future yard expansion. So far none have.
 #1641250  by BlueFlag

I presume eminent domain is always an option, although that would normally be far more time-consuming. I don’t know, of course, how that might play out at Mile 1, but I do know someone who handles real estate for a major railroad who tells me that almost without fail, they always get the land they want for purposes like this. Usually, a check for 3-4 times assessed value while presenting the possibility of an eminent domain ruling for considerably less provides sufficient incentive to sell.
 #1641601  by S1f3432

Yesterdays edition of LO54-RUPO with Eng 505-6229 and 33 cars shown leaving Leeds Junction and passing
SLR 3035 at Danville Junction lifting interchange cars from CSX.
Attachments:
20240402 DSC0411 LO54-RUPO Eng 505-6229 with 33 cars leaving Leeds Junction, ME.jpg
20240402 DSC0411 LO54-RUPO Eng 505-6229 with 33 cars leaving Leeds Junction, ME.jpg (353.31 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
20240402 DSC0424 LO54-RUPO Eng 505-6229 passing SLR 3035 at Danville Junction, ME.jpg
20240402 DSC0424 LO54-RUPO Eng 505-6229 passing SLR 3035 at Danville Junction, ME.jpg (382.61 KiB) Viewed 1393 times
 #1641639  by CPF66

Its also worth noting that WAMA or whatever CSX is calling it, hit a car in Enfield a few days ago. And a rare sports car at that. The driver claimed that the lights weren't activated at the time, which was supported by several other witnesses. Which I am sure that incident will be investigated, and the driver will likely be at fault since there is supposedly video of the accident taken by a railfan.

While it might be the drivers fault, I do think CSX should have taken the initiative to cut the brush back at the crossings more. A lot of places haven't got a trim since Pan Am did it in 2020 and you can't really see down the tracks until you are almost on the crossing. It probably would have been best if CSX had done this before the speeds were bumped up. It seems like every other railroad in the state (SLR, NHN, CPKC, NBM Railways, and even the tourist operators) cut a wide opening on each side of the crossing so even if the lights aren't working you have good sightlines.
But it seems like CSX rather keep the existing tree tunnels vs spending in brush removal.
 #1641695  by bostontrainguy

Wonder if this was moving on the main or switching the lumber company. Maybe the lights did not come on, but it looks like the car ran into the side of the train. He couldn't see the train crossing in front of him? Even if a train is flagged across a roadway, once the engine has crossed the flagman are gone and it is pretty obvious what is going on. Got to blame the car I think.
 #1641752  by CPF66

bostontrainguy wrote:Wonder if this was moving on the main or switching the lumber company. Maybe the lights did not come on, but it looks like the car ran into the side of the train. He couldn't see the train crossing in front of him? Even if a train is flagged across a roadway, once the engine has crossed the flagman are gone and it is pretty obvious what is going on. Got to blame the car I think.
It was the road job, which was doing 25 MPH. The crossing lights were on at the time, a railfan on Facebook said he had a video of it from his drone, but is refusing to share it with CSX because he "doesn't want to get involved".
 #1641801  by BandA

Its not so bad that they are clearcutting the forest for expanded rail yard, but they will be spraying roundup or other defoliants next to the river for years to come. Imagine the economics of a rail yard in northern maine vs say beacon park or even west springfield.
 #1641802  by newpylong

I was referring to the bystander not sharing their evidence.

As for the defoliants, that is not done by water sources. If you look trackside there are markers where the weed sprayer must stop nearing water.