Railroad Forums 

• What A Way....

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1641182  by Gilbert B Norman

....for Amtrak and MARC to get a temporary boost is their Baltimore passenger counts. I'm sure Mr. Wolf will concur.

"Read all about it in the news source of your choice:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/26 ... =url-share

Speaking for myself, the sooner I'm over any bridge, or through any tunnel, the happier I be.
 #1641184  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:43 am ....for Amtrak and MARC to get a temporary boost is their Baltimore passenger counts. I'm sure Mr. Wolf will concur.

"Read all about it in the news source of your choice:

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/26 ... =url-share

Speaking for myself, the sooner I'm over any bridge, or through any tunnel, the happier I be.
Not really. Most of the traffic that used the Key Bridge was hazmat traffic, which now has to take "the long way around". There's not any passenger rail traffic in that area, and commuters are stuck with taking the tunnels in their own cars or some of the commuter buses. Lots of rerouting going on, lots of delays. Granted, the area is way overdue for a subway... but that's it. Amtrak/MARC service doesn't reach down that way.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/baltimor ... e/60303975 for local reporting.
 #1641187  by STrRedWolf

BTW, before anyone asks and El Jeffe moves the thread: The Port of Baltimore is going to be closed to merchant vessels. Rail traffic off CSX/NS lines still is allowed (as is trucks), but having ships be delayed until the area is cleared and ships allowed back "under the bridge" and to the port will disrupt rail traffic.

Take that PSR!
 #1641190  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Wolf, the live feed to your local TV station you linked was quite interesting. I found it especially interesting how one of the on-airs noted the fear that many have about X-ing bridges.

Well, that's me; the sooner I'm over, or with a tunnel, the sooner I'm through, the happier I be. Guess I'm gephyrophobic.

Off the rails, last June when X-ing the George Washington Bridge, I got stuck in a traffic jam atop it - and the bridge was noticeably shaking and rocking. You can tell me that's what it's designed to do, but I won't feel any better.

Two Saturdays ago, returning from Windsor to Detroit as I reported at a more related topic, I was stuck in a jam under the River while "the ICEmen played ICEmen". One again, the sooner I was out of that, the happier I was.
 #1641198  by eolesen

STrRedWolf wrote:
Take that PSR!

More than just a little bit gross that you're trying to make a joke or a jab out of an event that people died in.............

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1641200  by STrRedWolf

eolesen wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:27 am
STrRedWolf wrote:
Take that PSR!

More than just a little bit gross that you're trying to make a joke or a jab out of an event that people died in.............

As of this post, 6 are unaccounted for from the construction crew on the bridge. There are no deaths at this time. I am following it very closely namely because I've driven that bridge many times before.
 #1641202  by eolesen

Doubling down, eh?

Show a little respect. This isn't the time or the place to be trying to score political points against railroad management policies.

#1641211  by STrRedWolf

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:10 am BTW, before anyone asks and El Jeffe moves the thread: The Port of Baltimore is going to be closed to merchant vessels. Rail traffic off CSX/NS lines still is allowed (as is trucks), but having ships be delayed until the area is cleared and ships allowed back "under the bridge" and to the port will disrupt rail traffic.
[REDACTED]
 #1641212  by Tadman

Mod note: this isn't really Amtrak material. Also, according to the news: "Search and rescue operations pulled two workers from the water, one in critical condition who was hospitalized. Efforts to locate the other six are ongoing. Authorities said that sonar had detected cars in the water, which is about 50 feet deep. "

Let's have a little more respect for the possiby dead and the families that cannot find them.