Railroad Forums 

• WMATA Green Line Interesting Observations

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1641073  by gprimr1

I went to see the Cherry Blossoms Thursday and ended up back at Gallery Place/Chinatown so I took the Green Line back to Fort Totten to change to the redline.

I noticed two odd things.

1.) There looks like a big vault right after Mt. Vernon, like an expansion pad was build that would allow a new line to branch off there.

2.) The train really struggled through the U shaped track. It would speed up, slam on the brakes, speed up, slam on the brakes, by the time we got to Fort Totten the whole train smelled of hot brakes.
 #1641088  by TheOneKEA

The big vault that you saw is likely to be the pocket track that was previously used to reverse Yellow Line services. Did you see the big vault after departing Mount Vernon in the direction of Fort Totten?
 #1641098  by Sand Box John

gprimr1

The train really struggled through the U shaped track. It would speed up, slam on the brakes, speed up, slam on the brakes, by the time we got to Fort Totten the whole train smelled of hot brakes.

The start stop issue between U Street and Columbia Heights is explained in a post by IhaveGHOST on 04 22 2022 at reddit.com/r/washingtondc.
 #1641111  by JDC

Sand Box John wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:52 am gprimr1

The train really struggled through the U shaped track. It would speed up, slam on the brakes, speed up, slam on the brakes, by the time we got to Fort Totten the whole train smelled of hot brakes.

The start stop issue between U Street and Columbia Heights is explained in a post by IhaveGHOST on 04 22 2022 at reddit.com/r/washingtondc.
Fantastic explanation by that reddit post.