Railroad Forums 

• Bayonne Shuttle ("Scoot") Question - Between Elizabeth and Cranford...

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#1640676  by umtrr-author

Not sure whether to ask this here or in New Jersey Railfan, but trying here first.

When the Bayonne to Cranford Shuttle, also known as the "Scoot," was implemented as part of the Aldene Plan, were there any station stops between Cranford and Elizabeth? (Or Elizabeth and Cranford...)

The June 1963 Official Guide, which is before the Aldene Plan, shows three, from east to west: Elmora Avenue, Lorraine and Roselle/Roselle Park, but only Roselle/Roselle Park was shown as an actual stop. Commuter trains were already not shown in the Official Guide so those schedules could have been different. The April 1967 Official Guide, the last one I have before the Aldene Plan shows the same. Official Guides after that don't show anything useful since all passenger service but the Scoot had ceased east of Cranford and for that you needed to write away for a Suburban Timetable.

My faulty memory suggests that there might have been a stop at Roselle/Roselle Park for the Scoot, and the Wikipedians seem to suggest this also ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roselle%E ... rk_station ) but there was also the rebuilt Roselle Park Station on the Lehigh Valley.

Does anyone remember better than I? I was only on the Scoot once, from Elizabethport to Bayonne, then back through E'Port to Cranford and return, with most of the westbound trip up front with the engineer including over the Newark Bay Bridge. This had to have been closer to the end of the Scoot than the beginning (last run: August 6, 1978).
 #1640703  by irtredbirdr33

The last pre-Aldene Mainline timetable (Form TT 103) is dated October 30, 1966.

It lists the following stops:
Elizabethport
Spring Street
Elizabeth
Elmora Avenue
Lorraine
Roselle-Rosell Park
Cranford.

The first post-Aldene timetable is dated April 30, 1967. It list the following stops:

Elizabethport
Elizabeth
Elmora Avenue
Roselle
Cranford

I rode the lines the last night that there was service to Broad Street, Newark. I was also there the next days. O rode the Bayonne Branch a few times as well.

I hope this helps.

Larry, RedbirdR33