Railroad Forums 

• Books on the Northeast Corridor & Trains in General

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1628928  by NortheastTrainMan

Hey everyone, I just wanted to respond here to thank everyone for their submissions. I learned quite a bit from "The Men Who Loved Trains" & "The Wreck of the Penn Central" thus far. Also, "My Life as a Rear End" had me rolling on the floor laughing. Even the cover of that book is ridiculous!

I'll get to more of these books over time. Also, thanks for making me aware of the Books / Media section on this forum. I'll check that out over time.

If the moderators see it fit to move this thread into the aforementioned "BOOKS, MAGAZINES, MUSIC, TV, AND MOVIES, AND OTHER MEDIA" section, you have the all clear PRR signal from me (not that you need it :P ).
 #1629269  by davelp83

Sorry to be so late in chiming in, but I wrote a history of the northeast corridor! It’s forthcoming from the University of Chicago Press this April. Cover, summary, etc to follow here: https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/bo ... 86389.html

I love the suggestions others have made here and would add Albert Churella’s thorough but lively Pennsylvania Railroad, Vol 1 and
 #1629271  by NortheastTrainMan

davelp83 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:42 pm Sorry to be so late in chiming in, but I wrote a history of the northeast corridor! It’s forthcoming from the University of Chicago Press this April. Cover, summary, etc to follow here: https://press.uchicago.edu/ucp/books/bo ... 86389.html

I love the suggestions others have made here and would add Albert Churella’s thorough but lively Pennsylvania Railroad, Vol 1 and
Hey man, I'll always prefer a late train over a cancelled one :P
Jokes aside, thanks for sharing. I'll be looking forward to April 2024 when your book comes out!
 #1631562  by NortheastTrainMan

So, it sounds like the universe (especially railroad universe) heard & answered me.
Last month I was fortunate to ride NJ Transit & URHS NJ's "40th Anniversary Express" Excursion from NY Penn - Bay Head - Hoboken.

On the excursion, one of the souvenirs they provided was a Route Guide written by Rich Wisneski & Bennett Levin.
I took a video you can check out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiu2V2r66Hc

It's about 14 pages on NJ Transit's history and the route of the excursion. With obviously a decent portion focused on the Northeast Corridor. As someone who was riding on the North Jersey Coast Line for the first time, I found it very informative & helpful. I viewed numerous videos & photos of the the route over the years, but I didn't know some of the finer details of NJCL before reading the guide. Hopefully others can learn more about it from me sharing it, on both the NEC & NJCL.

Once again, hats off to New Jersey Transit & United Railroad Historical Society of NJ. It felt great to experience history and know what I was experiencing as it was happening.

I literally asked for a book on the NEC and was GIVEN a book on the NEC. Won't he do it!
Just wanted to share that with y'all. Thanks again for your input, and if you have anything else to add, feel free.
Let this serve as help for others who are interested in the route.

The video includes jazz music because I didn't want there to be total silence. If you're not a fan, always remember the mute button is an option.

Take care & be good :-D
 #1640537  by NortheastTrainMan

This past weekend, I took a trip to Harrisburg for the Harrisburg Chapter NRHS train show.
I didn't know what to expect, but I said, well let me go & check it out.

I came across the "Trains of the Northeast Corridor" book by Tom Nelligan & Scott Hartley.
It talks about the formation of railroads that eventually became what we know today as the Northeast Corridor, all the way to the early 1980s, when the book was written.

Shoutout to Station Aficionado who recommended the book to me back in June :-D
It was worth the trip.
IMG_2812.png
IMG_2812.png (9.98 MiB) Viewed 135 times