Railroad Forums 

• Shared Assets Lehigh Line

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1639590  by Bracdude181

Heard they took the Lehigh out of service between POTTER and BOUND BROOK this morning due to a big fire somewhere... NS 24X was diverted down the Port Reading Sec...

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

#1639592  by RFRailFan

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:27 pm Heard they took the Lehigh out of service between POTTER and BOUND BROOK this morning due to a big fire somewhere... NS 24X was diverted down the Port Reading Sec...

Was listening earlier to area fire companies going mutual aid to Piscataway. Structure fire was somewhere on New Market Rd, near the tracks.
 #1639595  by Bracdude181

Oh in THAT area. Gotcha.

Kinda wish the detours happened more often. Would be cool to see something like 18G or M404 go that way.

#1639622  by Bracdude181

Actually RFRailfan do you get the Lehigh road channel where your at? I keep hearing about someone flashing lights at trains from time to time. Curious if any of the train crews mention it.

#1639663  by RFRailFan

Bracdude181 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:12 pm Actually RFRailfan do you get the Lehigh road channel where your at? I keep hearing about someone flashing lights at trains from time to time. Curious if any of the train crews mention it.

Sorry... just saw your post. I cannot hear Lehigh traffic currently. Working on a better antenna in the future!
 #1639824  by Bracdude181

NS 268 Rear ended NS 24X, then 19G went past and crashed into the pile. 19Gs engines landed on a riverbank.ImageImageImageImage

#1639949  by Bracdude181

Good to see progress being made

Some trains were detoured down the CSX Trenton Sub today including 25A, 62V, and 23G. (23G was over 10,000 feet long!) 24 also finally made it up today after their damaged cars were disconnected from the rest of the train. Detours to continue until through tonight at the very least. Apparently lots of trains parked on the sidings between Phillipsburg and Manville. Other eastbound like 18N and 18G waiting in Allentown still so I suspect many NS shippers won't be getting their loads for at least another day or two.

One thing that's been on my mind about this, why did 268 rear end 24X? Isn't PTC meant to prevent this sort of collision? Also how long between the initial collision and 19G coming from the other way and crashing into the wreckage? Seems to me they didn't have much warning about it. Certainly not enough time to stop...

#1639953  by Bracdude181

Scratch that. Line is open as of 10:25 PM. 18N Eastbound through Phillipsburg 11:51 PM

#1639963  by CR7876

Bracdude181 wrote:One thing that's been on my mind about this, why did 268 rear end 24X? Isn't PTC meant to prevent this sort of collision? Also how long between the initial collision and 19G coming from the other way and crashing into the wreckage? Seems to me they didn't have much warning about it. Certainly not enough time to stop...

From the details I'm hearing, PTC was working as intended. PTC doesn't know where the rear of a train is, its purpose is to restrict speed based on the conditions ahead of the train. In this case 268 would have either had a restricting signal at CP-87 or a stop and proceed at an automatic ( I'm not qualified out there, but the same principal applies). PTC, as designed, will allow you to enter that block as long as you maintain a slow speed.

In this case, it seems 268 hit 24X somewhere between 5 and 8 mph which would be acceptable speed in PTC. It looked like there was no damage to 24X, but the force of the "hard coupling" derailed one or two of 268's well's. 19G showed up about 5 minutes later. allegedly before anyone knew 268 was derailed.
 #1639971  by Bracdude181

Ahhh I see. Even then 5 minutes of warning sounds like it would be cutting it close since these trains need so much stopping distance.

Regardless of what happened, I'm just glad no one was killed. Could've been much worse.

A couple of trains ran through last night. Still no sign of 18G or 6K4 it seems. Another 24X ran along with 11N. Lots of of catching up to do.

#1639975  by Railcar1

Bracdude - It has been been said by many railroaders the engineer still has to stop the train when going 18mph or slower.
 #1640041  by Bracdude181

Per the NS train symbols update group

K76 is a new Tu-Sa Croxton, NJ - Allentown, PA turn. The profiled departure time out of Croxton is 06:00, with no other work between there and Allentown. K76 will handle the Croxton manifest traffic that previously ran on 18G / 19G.
*note: 18G and 19G will handle the Croxton manifest on Su and Mo, which are K76’s off-days.

18G will remain as Allentown - Croxton daily, but will only handle traffic for Oak Island. After setting out the Oak Island manifest at Oak Island Yard, 18G will pick up the trash loads (bound for Uniontown, AL) and will take them to Croxton. At Croxton, the trash loads will be put on 25A. Profiled departure time out of Allentown is 15:00.

Also, 19G will remain as Croxton - Enola daily. Out of Croxton, 19G will have a Conway manifest block. At Oak Island, it will fill out with the remaining manifest traffic bound for Allentown, Enola, and Conway. Profiled departure time out of Croxton is 23:00.