Railroad Forums 

• CSX MOW "The Dragon"

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1638360  by neman2

Does anyone know anything about this ? (When you click the pic it rotates to normal)
I spotted this machine on a siding on the former Pan Am Stony Brook now CSX Portland Subdivision in Chelmsford,Ma.
It has a sticker identifying it as "The Dragon" fabricated at the CSX Bryan Park Roadway Shop in Richmond, Va.
I guess it is for melting snow and ice. I don't understand the grill like parts on the movable arms or the fuel source.
20240206_085545.jpg
20240206_085545.jpg (4.07 MiB) Viewed 911 times
Attachments:
20240206_085629.jpg
20240206_085629.jpg (2.05 MiB) Viewed 911 times
 #1638382  by Ken Rice

Looks like the bars are electric heating elements (note the wiring on the far side flipped up one). They must have a beefy generator onboard.
 #1638826  by copcars

The lines are not electric lines, if you look closely they have hydraulic fittings like on a backhoe.In the photo it looks like a propane tank on a buggy behind machine.I think it might be used on switches to melt the snow where their are no swish heater.You would want to keep the heat and flame concentrated ,and the steel type flashing would do it.The arms are probably hydraulic and probably could be used on outside and inside of rail.It is a a RUTH GOLDBERG SPECIAL
 #1638889  by neman2

Its funny I was going to post the "Rube Goldberg" comment but I didn't think people would get it. The device does look like it has too many moving parts to survive . If you look at the attached two pictures the "buggy" behind the machine is the regulator broom. I believe the tanks you refer to hold water for dust suppression .
School St Chelmsford 7.jpg
School St Chelmsford 7.jpg (4.06 MiB) Viewed 518 times
School St, Chelmsford  6.jpg
School St, Chelmsford 6.jpg (2.51 MiB) Viewed 518 times
 #1639696  by CPF66

Its just a regular KSF-940 ballast regulator by the looks. Normally railroads put a snow package on them (blade extensions for the ballast blade) and a set of rigid wings as opposed to the ballast ones, as well as a blower unit for the rear mounted broom. It looks like this one is set up as a switch melter, likely in place of the jet melters other railroads use.