Railroad Forums 

• Amtrak Acela Self Check-In

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1638676  by Jeff Smith

https://thepointsguy.com/news/amtrak-self-check-in/
Amtrak debuts new self-check-in option on Acela trains
Over the past few weeks, Amtrak has quietly rolled out a new self-check-in feature that allows you to quickly validate your train ticket once you step on board the train.

As part of the trial, a button in the Amtrak app will display "Check In" if your trip is eligible for this new self-service option. After tapping the button, you'll be asked to scan a barcode above your seat.
Right now, it's available on "more — but not all — of our Acela trains," an Amtrak spokesperson told TPG. Note that this feature is exclusively available in Acela first class, but it may expand to the business-class cabin in the coming months.
 #1638735  by NaugyRR

I don't hate this idea, I actually think for First & Business Class it will work particularly well.

That said, it is reliant on passengers that are honest/knowledgeable enough to sit in their assigned seat. Does the app notify people if they try to scan in at the wrong seat?
 #1638738  by FatNoah

That said, it is reliant on passengers that are honest/knowledgeable enough to sit in their assigned seat. Does the app notify people if they try to scan in at the wrong seat?
Does anyone remember how the Acelas used to show your name above your seat?
 #1639606  by Bill D

I traveled from New Haven to Boston yesterday and was looking forward to trying this new feature out. When I boarded at New Haven though, the car attendant asked for my name, found it on her handheld device and checked me in. When the conductor passed through he informed me that I was all set. On my return trip, I scanned the QR code above my seat. It led me to my online ticket, which included a check in box. Clicking on the box a check mark appeared showing that I was successfully checked in. But when the conductor passed through this time, I was asked to show my ticket, even though her device indicated that I was checked in. She told me that I was only the second person that she has encountered using this feature since it went into service, so she still checks tickets.

As for being in the correct seat, there is a alpha-numeric code adjacent to the QR code. This appears to be a combination of seat number and car number, so the system should catch someone scanning from the wrong seat and not allow the completion of check in. Hopefully passengers and crew with soon be comfortable with using this feature, as it seemed to work well.

Bill