Railroad Forums 

• MARC Penn Line Train Change

• Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.
Discussion related to DC area passenger rail services from Northern Virginia to Baltimore, MD. Includes Light Rail and Baltimore Subway.

Moderators: mtuandrew, therock, Robert Paniagua

#1639275  by Prime

Hey,

Did anyone notice that the Penn line changed which trains they're sending on which route. It use to be if you got on the 415 in the morning you could get on the same train car that you would if you took the 536 home. On Tuesday I got on car 7875 in the morning and was hoping to catch the same car home but they switched the train and it was car 7892.

Does anyone know why they did this?
 #1639306  by STrRedWolf

Prime wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:09 pm Hey,

Did anyone notice that the Penn line changed which trains they're sending on which route. It use to be if you got on the 415 in the morning you could get on the same train car that you would if you took the 536 home. On Tuesday I got on car 7875 in the morning and was hoping to catch the same car home but they switched the train and it was car 7892.

Does anyone know why they did this?
Consist changes like this happen all the time, namely because some consists are shared between the Penn line and the Brunswick/Camden lines. There's regular inspections on the cars, which I believe happen in Riverside (Baltimore MARC repair yard), therefore the cars have to be swapped around in DC and sent up to Riverside.