Railroad Forums 

• Portsmouth Branch Activity

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1630526  by MECFAN

DO-1 came into Portsmouth early afternoon with 1Tyco and 16 propane, Probably up to Sea-3 pulling empty's at 4:00 PM
 #1630952  by MECFAN

The Loram ditching rig is on its way into Portsmouth crossed Rte-33 at 11:15 They ditched a stretch between Portsmouth Ave and Rte-33 when I saw them.
 #1632260  by NHV 669

The whiners are back again, with another STB filing regarding the tracks they chose to live next to: https://lm.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3 ... b28h4XOxvg

(Let me know if the link doesn't work, I can't seem to attach the PDF directly.)

Apparently it's the railroad's responsibility to parent loose children... 🙄
 #1638670  by Jonathan603

A couple of updates...

The old station building has been moved back away from the tracks, rotated 180 degrees and is suspended above it's new foundation.

A DODX flat car with some sort of contraption on top was moved to Portsmouth Yard yesterday lunch time. As of 9am this morning it is still in the Portsmouth yard.

Here is a picture of it passing Greenland station. - http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=278028
And here is a video of it passing through MP12. - https://youtu.be/gwjuDM5JBLU
 #1638677  by MRY

Looking at pictures on the GE website and given that its not placarded for nuclear, I'd say that its a rotor for the steam propulsion turbine.
 #1638706  by Jonathan603

MRY wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:21 am Looking at pictures on the GE website and given that its not placarded for nuclear, I'd say that its a rotor for the steam propulsion turbine.
Thanks. Yes, no security caboose with it either so that makes sense.

There are a few Tyco cars in the yard. Not sure whether or not they are awaiting delivery to Tyco.

DODX was still in the yard at lunch time. I wonder if it will deliver Friday. Just a hunch....
 #1638820  by Jonathan603

503-506 took the DODX car over the bridge this morning around 9:20. It left the DODX car on the short siding outside the Navy base. Both engines entered the Navy base. Not sure what happened after that?

A guess would be that 503-506 picked up another load from the base to return to Portsmouth?Maybe the casks from September 2021? Maybe the Navy switcher took the DODX car into PNSY?
 #1638823  by copcars

We hit the route 1 bypass lift bridge about 11 AM.We just made it over the bridge into Kittery,Me when we spotted the two pan am engines with 2 flat cars each with a large turbines on specialty flat cars ,empty flat car,and DODX caboose waiting to go over the lift bridge.As soon as we got there they raised the bridge for a large tugboat with barge.We took a few photos,but we had to get to Portland to meet someone on business.I have been over this bridge 100 times but never saw a train there.The highway lanes are on top of the tracks and the road bridge lifts vertically like the Cape cod canal railroad bridge.The railroad lift bridge is very unusual, it is a girder bridge that must be on some type of rollers and is pulled in onto the tracks .The highway bridge can be raised, with the railroad bridge pulled up onto the tracks.Since their are very few trains, the railroad bridge is left pulled up onto the tracks all the time to give boats an extra 24 feet to go under the highway bridge.All these years going this route I never saw the RR bridge operated.We could not wait to see it work.If anyone has photos of RR bridge in operation PLEASE POST THEM