Railroad Forums 

• Revere train accident of 1871

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#928385  by jaymac

Ronald Dale Karr's "The Rail Lines of Southern New England" has some information on p. 260. Boiled down, the engineer of a following passenger express hit a local at about 10 mph at night on Aug. 26, 1871. There were 29 fatalities as well as additional injuries. A contributing factor was the Eastern's refusal at the time to dispatch by wire. There is bound to be additional information in Commonwealth archives and local newspapers and historical societies, mebbe even the B&MRRHS and/or Walker Collection.
 #928465  by edbear

It is written up in STEELWAYS of NEW ENGLAND (A F Harlow) and DOWN BRAKES (Robert Shaw). In a nutshell, August, 1871 was a very busy month on the Eastern. There was a big revival meeting going on at, I think Asbury Grove. There was a lot of passenger traffic and the crush of business saw organized schedules go out the window. Four trains figured in the scenario and they were out of schedule order. Starting at 6:30 pm that evening, there were three trains that got stacked up at Everett Junction. Saugus Branch, Mainline local and Saugus Branch waiting for a very delayed southbound Saugus Branch train. The Saugus was single track at that time and the operator at the Junction refused to allow the first Saugus onto the Branch to let the Mainline local go. Eastern had strict rules. Eventually, the southbound Saugus Branch train showed up and headed on the main into Boston. The procession then began. First Saugus left the main, the Mainline local left and then the second Saugus entered the branch. The forth train was a Portland Express that left the Eastern' s Boston terminal at 8 pm and as it was highballing through the Junction, the engineer saw the second Saugus train heading out the branch. No signal on motion or anything was given to indicate a Mailine local was just ahead. Portland Express rear ended the Mainline local while it was stopped at Revere.
 #928545  by edbear

Location was at the Revere Station. This is the point where the original Eastern RR mainline to East Boston went straight south to the Eastern's original waterfront terminal. There is quite a curve there. Probably between Hichborn St. and Winthrop Ave. about right under the Revere Beach Parkway bridge.
 #1638529  by Arborwayfan

Charles Francis Adams wrote about it in The Atlantic in 1876: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/ar ... he/631411/. This version is paywalled but I think it's possible to find The Atlantic from the 1800s free online via HathiTrust or another service like that. According to Wikipedia he also mentioned it in this book: Adams, Charles Francis Jr (1879). Notes on Railroad Accidents. New York: G.P. Putnum's Sons. pp. 125–144. I haven't looked that one up yet, but it's probably available via Google Books.
I'm working on a book about the "invention of safety" in the 19th century and hoping to look at Charles Francis Adams's papers and the papers of some other Mass railroad commissioners and related folks. I will report back when I find more.