Railroad Forums 

• Paint Schemes and Wraps including Photoshop and Heritage

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1638044  by Jeff Smith

I thought I'd create a single thread for cool paint schemes, including Photoshop. Now, my PS skills are non-existent, but you see a few around social media. If you can, name the source.

Source: Faceook

Attachments:
LSU Power.jpg
LSU Power.jpg (150.21 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
 #1638045  by Gilbert B Norman

In my case, it's easy to envision a solid Dark Blue engine with only a bold "I" on the front and sides.

When driving the 57, I've seen these; easy to imagine an Amtrak ALC-42 so liveried.

Finally, many an Illini from my day surely miss Chief Illiniwek and are astounded that he could have ever been stripped of his mascot standing. But over the years, I've come to accept that the "I" is more "socially conscious".
 #1638088  by MACTRAXX

west point wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:24 am Love that LSU paint job!!!
WP: This locomotive is smoking like an ALCO - being that this is a GE unit the only missing element
could be a "flame-out" that they sometimes are known to do...Picture these LSU colors on a UP Big Boy :wink:
There is precedence to college/university color schemes on rail equipment - First Thought: Remember MONON
in Indiana? There are others that may be obscure out there...MACTRAXX
 #1638103  by NHV 669

west point wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:24 am Love that LSU paint job!!!
Especially the fact that the unit has three different numbers, and who knows what that's supposed to be behind it.
 #1638134  by jwhite07

Regarding college-inspired railroad paint schemes, there is a possibly urban legend that says when joint management of the Boston and Maine and Maine Central railroads ended in the 1950s, the "Pine Tree Green" that replaced B&M maroon on Maine Central equipment was actually Dartmouth Green, chosen by Maine Central President E. Spencer Miller who was a Dartmouth College alumnus.
 #1638254  by MEC407

The LSU monstrosity was generated by AI, which is why it has three different numbers and the smoke is coming from the roof of the cab.
 #1638259  by Jeff Smith

Okay now I'm worried a bit lol. Thanks RT. Perhaps I should add "AI" to the thread title.

Seeing as how AI is proliferating, these fantasy paint schemes should also proliferate.
 #1638263  by STrRedWolf

Jeff Smith wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:31 am Okay now I'm worried a bit lol. Thanks RT. Perhaps I should add "AI" to the thread title.

Seeing as how AI is proliferating, these fantasy paint schemes should also proliferate.
Do not get me started on AI generated imagery.

Still, I now wonder if there's a 3D model of various engines around. Reskinning said model isn't as bad as having some AI model generate something off.