Railroad Forums 

• Another crash

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1637731  by Denver Dude

As you have heard, the CZ left the rails here in Colorado because an idiot truck driver decided to put his truck in the path of the train.
I am surprised that the locomotive wound up off the rails and on its side, Could that be because they are so much lighter than the freight units? Someone mentioned that maybe it hit a switch.
AI was disappointed to see that the driver has not been charged. Hopefully he will be. I wish there stricter laws and punishments for those who don't yield to trains. This should be a federal crime as it affects interstate commerce.
Last edited by Denver Dude on Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1637796  by Ken W2KB

Denver Dude wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:42 am As you have heard, the CZ left the rails here in Colorado because an idiot truck driver decided to put his truck in the path of the train.
I am surprised that the locomotive wound up off the rails and on its side, Could that be because they are so much lighter than the freight units? Someone mentioned that maybe it hit a switch.
AI was disappointed to see that the driver has not been charged. Hopefully he will be. I wish there stricter laws and punishments for those who don't yield to trains. This should be a federal crime as it affects interstate commerce.
All incidents resultant from improper driving on highways affect interstate commerce. It is long settled in the law that careless and reckless driving are state law matters. This appears to be the Colorado statute that applies: "2022 Colorado Code
Title 18 - Criminal Code
Article 3 - Offenses Against the Person
Part 2 - Assaults
§ 18-3-205. Vehicular Assault
If a person operates or drives a motor vehicle in a reckless manner, and this conduct is the proximate cause of serious bodily injury to another, such person commits vehicular assault. " It appears that reckless driving vehicular assault is a class 5 felony punishable by one to three years in prison and/or $1,000 to $100,000 fine.
 #1639096  by Tadman

Here's an interesting twist: If Amtrak employees are considered federal employees, could you make the case that reckless driving resulting in injury to Amtrak employees is a federal offense? Your penalties go way up if so.