Railroad Forums 

• Lockport passenger train station restoration ?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1637329  by videobruce

I'm surprised no one here posted this;

I stumbled across a news article on WKBW (which I don't normally watch their news, I was just 'passing by') about the remains of this brick train station I wasn't even aware of it existing;
https://www.wkbw.com/news/local-news/ni ... on-station

Other than whats in the article, what does anyone know about this guy and the station which is basically a brick wall shell with no roof?? It surely looked like such a nice building (as all of them were), it's too bad it wound up like this not that this isn't any different than all the other Depots that have been town down. :(

It looks like it surely needs far more than $250k to bring it back.
 #1637378  by BR&P

videobruce wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:39 am It looks like it surely needs far more than $250k to bring it back.
It says he has put that much of his own into it already. Probably he has backers with even deeper pockets. I could see it easily taking several million to do the job but that's just a wild guess.
 #1637385  by videobruce

I was guessing $2M, especially since there is almost nothing left of the structure, then add the utilities, floor and reinforcing the brick skeleton.
I can't imagine coming up with that coin especially since there is little to support any 'passenger' service except for those Autumn rides.
 #1637405  by BR&P

I know nothing about the owner and his plans, nor the floor plan. If I were doing it I'd look for a full-time tenant(s) in part of the place, and keep part of it for excursion patrons. There have been ventures combining a full-time restaurant with dinner trains or excursions for example.

The project will probably require some degree of compromise from the original. Unless someone is in the stratosphere with their net worth, I can't see it being viable as a stand-alone passenger station only.
 #1637417  by videobruce

I'm not familiar with that part of the city, but that would be the logical re-use for the building. I was thinking of a museum of some kind, thou there is some competition with Medina.
Of course, if one is really in the "stratosphere", it could be a nice residence. :wink:
 #1637638  by DGC-24711

BR&P wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:37 am I know nothing about the owner and his plans, nor the floor plan. If I were doing it I'd look for a full-time tenant(s) in part of the place, and keep part of it for excursion patrons. There have been ventures combining a full-time restaurant with dinner trains or excursions for example.
If one use of it is a passenger shelter for excursions and the new Lockport starting point is now east of the bridge over the canal, the part that gets the ooohs and ahhhhs from the passengers.
 #1637784  by DGC-24711

BR&P wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:33 pm An excursion could pull west across the bridge and then shove east to unload, providing a grand finale at the return.
yeah good point. We rode on the Buffalo Southern a couple autumns ago, and it went from the station in Eden south to the 18 Mile Creek bridge for phots and the ooohs and ahhhs then back north past the station to Zittles in Hamburg.