Railroad Forums 

• Allegheny Valley Railroad

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#638274  by pablo

So, I drove to Oakmont today to get a cake, and I see lots of rails through the town. I Google it and get the name Allegheny Valley Railroad, but get a weak fan page and weaker Wiki article. Can any of you folks fill me in further?

Thanks!

Dave Becker
 #638319  by EMTRailfan

The AVR runs the line of the original Allegheny Valley Railway. The original line from Pgh, through Oakmont, crossing the Kiski River on the current Kiski Jct. RR. From there it ran along the river through Kittanning, E. Brady, Emlenton, Franklin, and ended in Oil City's Valley Yard, now owned by WNYP. This line was Conrail's Valley Line into the mid 80's when abandoned. The original AVR also owned the Low Grade pre-Pennsy. I don't know much about the current AVR's operations, etc. though, sorry.
 #663227  by LV270

The AVR usually runs 2-3 times a week @ night from Verona to New Kensington. Tracks have been taken up years ago by CR past New Kensington. They also run to the strip district in the city, also @ night. Operations seem to be out of CSX Glenwood yard. Not sure of AVR operations on the former CSX to Washington PA.
AVR roster @ http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoli ... rch=search
 #1637662  by Jeff Smith

Some info on the stations of the AVR:
https://triblive.com/local/valley-news-dispatch/remember-when-numerous-train-stations-dotted-allegheny-valley-railroad-route-from-braeburn-to-oakmont/ wrote:TribLive.com

Remember When: Numerous train stations dotted Allegheny Valley Railroad route from Braeburn to Oakmont

The Allegheny Valley Railroad, which ran along the Lower Burrell side of the Allegheny River, was the first major rail line to open in the Alle-Kiski Valley.

When completed in January 1856, the rail line extended from Pittsburgh to Kittanning. There were numerous train stations, or depots as they were referred to back then, constructed along its route.

Local historical societies have photographs of many of these stations, but there are a number for which no photographs are known to exist.