Railroad Forums 

• Siemens to manufacture 83 Airo Intercity Trainsets for Amtrak: Design, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1634659  by STrRedWolf

SRich wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:32 am If I remember correctly, that read that the Cascades sets ordered are payed by WSDOT and not Amtrak?

But i can't find it anymore.
You mean the Taigo sets?
 #1634669  by eolesen

WSDOT has an order for Siemens equipment to replace the last Talgo sets if i recall. Doesn't matter if it's Airo or Venture since it's more or less the same design and assembly line....

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

#1634758  by electricron

Let's review some facts from past history.
Amtrak owned 3 Talgo sets, including the one initially ordered for LA-LV trial service.
Washington owned 2 Talgo sets
Oregon owns 2 Talgo sets, the latest built.
Amtrak and Washington have ordered new Siemens sets to replace their old Talgo sets, but not Oregon.
So Oregon's Talgo sets will still be in service for some time to come.
 #1634771  by eolesen

electricron wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 1:11 pm Amtrak and Washington have ordered new Siemens sets to replace their old Talgo sets, but not Oregon.
So Oregon's Talgo sets will still be in service for some time to come.
True, but don't they require an exemption to continue operating? Exemptions are easily revoked.
 #1634772  by RandallW

I don't think the Oregon owned Talgo 8s have any exemptions or waivers allowing them to operate. The earlier Talgo VIs had an exemption related to crash strength, and an exemption was granted to allow the Talgo 8s that ultimately went to Nigeria to be used (because between their construction and the attempted first use, new rules concerning door security went into effect).
 #1634776  by Gilbert B Norman

On topic but a diversion from where this discussion ihas been heading of late. Just think, the Amfleets will soon have been in revenue service for fifty years (Oct '75).

On the Corridor, they have been handled by five different electric locomotives (GG-1/Power Car, E-60, AEM-7, HHP-8, ACS-64) and systemwide, by five Diesels (E-8/Power Car, F-40, P-32, P-42, SC-44).

They are just like the Eveready Bunny - they keep going, going, and going.

Herr Siemens, you'd better build your Airos tough, because with the customer's tendency to "defer" maintenance on any of their equipment. they will have to last a long, LONG, time
 #1636806  by NortheastTrainMan

"Herr Siemens, you'd better build your Airos tough, because with the customer's tendency to "defer" maintenance on any of their equipment. they will have to last a long, LONG, time" - Gilbert B Norman

Motor Vehicles have Ford Tough & Railroads have Budd Tough :-D
 #1636813  by NortheastTrainMan

STrRedWolf wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:10 am
TheOneKEA wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:20 pm Wikipedia claims that NJ Transit performed a software modification on their ALP-45DPs to disable their ability to start and stop their prime movers while moving. Is it known yet if the ALC-42Es will have a similar capability designed in but disabled in software, or will it be left out entirely?
I would imagine so, given current operations have the engines swapping out under the catenary, and there's a delay built into the schedule. They may trim that down if swapping from electric to diesel needs a similar, if short, delay.

This also means the delay on the Pennsy in Philly gets cut down to "how long it takes the engineer to walk the length of the consist up to cab in the other end of the train."
Hm. My question might be suited better for the Pennsylvanian & Keystone thread, but your comment made me wanna ask this here & now. Where does the Pennsylvanian have crew changes? I always thought there was a crew change in Philly, like how there's one for the Keystones.

Aside from that, are there crew changes at regular engine swap points? I always felt like that was the case, not that I have anything to verify it. I just thought of the distance or "checkpoint" and the change of power meant the change of crew.
 #1636819  by STrRedWolf

NortheastTrainMan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:14 pm Hm. My question might be suited better for the Pennsylvanian & Keystone thread, but your comment made me wanna ask this here & now. Where does the Pennsylvanian have crew changes? I always thought there was a crew change in Philly, like how there's one for the Keystones.

Aside from that, are there crew changes at regular engine swap points? I always felt like that was the case, not that I have anything to verify it. I just thought of the distance or "checkpoint" and the change of power meant the change of crew.
Crew changes I believe at Harrisburg and maybe Philly, although I wouldn't be surprised if the conductor crew changes in Harrisburg and the engineer crew changes in Philly.
 #1636843  by Gilbert B Norman

NortheastTrainMan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:46 pm Motor Vehicles have Ford Tough & Railroads have Budd Tough :-D
WAAAAY Off Topic, but a trucker client I had often referred to Ford heavy Class 8 vehicles as "Fix Or Repair Daily" and GMC as "Got Mechanic Coming". Wonder why he ensured his ten or so tractors were of Mack and IH varietals. Wonder why both Ford and GM are no longer in the heavy vehicle business (Ford still has a line built and sold only overseas)?
 #1636848  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 8:05 am
NortheastTrainMan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:46 pm Motor Vehicles have Ford Tough & Railroads have Budd Tough :-D
WAAAAY Off Topic, but a trucker client I had often referred to Ford heavy Class 8 vehicles as "Fix Or Repair Daily" and GMC as "Got Mechanic Coming". Wonder why he ensured his ten or so tractors were of Mack and IH varietals. Wonder why both Ford and GM are no longer in the heavy vehicle business (Ford still has a line built and sold only overseas)?
Similarly, Toyota's Hylux series just keep on trucking (sorry, had to go for the pun there).

And back on track, the Acela's today are having trouble in the snow, but the Budd-built Amfleets are having no problems. In other words, Budd don't break.
 #1637001  by CNJGeep

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:54 pm
NortheastTrainMan wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:14 pm Hm. My question might be suited better for the Pennsylvanian & Keystone thread, but your comment made me wanna ask this here & now. Where does the Pennsylvanian have crew changes? I always thought there was a crew change in Philly, like how there's one for the Keystones.

Crew changes I believe at Harrisburg and maybe Philly, although I wouldn't be surprised if the conductor crew changes in Harrisburg and the engineer crew changes in Philly.
West of Harrisburg the work is handled by Zone 4 Harrisburg men

Weekdays:
43 has a Philly Crew NY through to Harrisburg
42 has a Philly Crew to Philly, and a separate Philly Crew to NY.

Weekends:
A New York Crew brings 43 down and 42 back.
A Philly Crew brings 42 in from Harrisburg
A Philly Crew brings 43 out to Harrisburg.

All crews are 3-man crews, except Sundays, where 43 runs with a Harrisburg Zone 2 Engineer and a Philly Conductor & Brakeman.

Not all Keystones change crews in Philly either.
 #1637106  by Jeff Smith

Curious, and this may have been answered upthread: will seat selection at purchase be available on the Airos? That’s a big drawback on the Regional.