Railroad Forums 

• From REDDIT: NJTransit if no lines were abandoned

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1635570  by pdtrains

The "Mostly abandoned rail lines of NJ" map.

Map too small to really read, and I cant get to enlarge. Maybe a link to a PDF would be better. ??
Does it have abandoned Public Service trolley lines in north jersey too? A lot of them go WAY back, and its hard to even trace where the ROW's used to be.

As for bringing lines back, what a moot point. I guess if u have too much time on your hands anf want to dream.. LOL

The dumb ass state of NJ (and i mean that only in the nicest way) cant even get Port Morris to Andover done..and thats with the ROW there and everything.

And my beloved Northern Branch should have had DMU's or something restored to Northvale years ago. The tracks will keep rusting till after Im dead.
 #1635597  by Greg

Pretty comprehensive but there are missing lines like the LV's Irvington Branch and the PRR's two Newark branches; the one to 18th Ave and the original bridge over the Passaic to Newark Penn.

The Erie's Seaboard station is missing which was just north of the Whitpenn.

Two branches off the RV; one to New Orange (BASF) and the Newark Heights Branch.

The Malapardis Branch in Whippany off the ME is missing.

The Macopin Branch off the NYS&W is missing.

The Island Heights Branch is missing.

A connection from Somers Point to Ocean City is missing along with one from Cedar Springs and Corson's Inlet on the AC.

The Cold Spring Branch is missing on the PRSL.

And since they added the SIRR north shore might as well add the east shore line to South beach.
Last edited by Greg on Fri Dec 29, 2023 6:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
 #1635616  by pumpers

Cool map.
I might be having "deja vu", but I sure think this map (or one very similar) was posted and discussed here or over on the NJ Transit thread a few years ago. Does anyone remember that? Jim S

And I'll add my 2 cents:
- I am 95% sure the Mercer and Somerset was a continuation of the PRR over the Millstone River and D&R canal at Millstone and East Millstone - neither of the 2 towns was an end station as shown on the map.

I am not sure if it is required that the lines shown once carried passenger trains. If not, also missing are some of the spaghetti of lines running north/south right along the Hudson River waterfront towns. Such as the NJ Junction RR that connected to the east side of the NYC tunnel to the waterfront around Weehawken and headed south, National Docks, the Erie Weehawken Branch going north from Pavonia up to Weehawken, Hoboken Manufacturers, etc.
 #1635683  by JohnFromJersey

In my opinion, any route that connected the Jersey Shore with the Philadelphia area would make sense. Specifically, if Bayhead to Seaside Heights to Toms River to Camden/Philadelphia would make sense - especially in the summertime's.

It would also be nice to see Cape May, Ocean City, and Wildwood still having service, but I don't see those lines being profitable outside of the summer months. They could've been great railcar storage in the winter months though.

I think the severed route of the old C&A between Bordentown and Jamesburg would make sense as well, since it parallels the Northeast Corridor, and would be an excellent route to re-route freight trains off the NEC going to Philadelphia. You could also use it as an "overflow" route for NJT trains during rush hour/times when the NEC is crowded.

I think the old Bel-Del route would make an excellent extension for the RiverLINE NJT line as well. The areas around the old Bel-Del route have become pretty gentrified touristy areas, and some consistent public transit up there would be very beneficial. It's also been said that if the Poughkeepsie Rail Bridge didn't burn/was restored for rail service, the Bel-Del would likely still be in use for freight service.

I think a lot of us here would like to see Lakewood - Winslow Junction back in service again, but that likely won't happen. That being said, that route would likely still be a very active freight route if the Pinelands Commission didn't come around. There were a lot of sand pits in the Pinelands, but the Pinelands Commission does not allow for any (new) development in the Pinelands, so that meant when a lot of sandpits that got regular service dried up by 90s, there were no options to open new sandpits.
 #1635690  by CharlieL

Well, perhaps if our political class back in the day had been treating rail as something other than a source to be milked we would still have some of that infrastructure. Whiting - Pemberton - Camden would be nice.