Railroad Forums 

• Approximately when did railroads allow trainmen to use wrist watches?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1635086  by bellstbarn

In describing inherited railroad pocket watches, I have been telling people that trainmen were first allowed to use wrist watches in the 1950's. I'm beginning to doubt that statement. To a large degree is a question of checking for accuracy.
Can someone provide info on this topic? Thanks.
 #1635093  by John_Perkowski

I went to a watch forum. There was a Bulova watch, railroad approved, dated 1960.

You’ll find lots of info on the oracle of Google.
 #1635094  by John_Perkowski

Admin note

Moved by an admin, 16 Dec 23. Reason: Topic far broader than general discussion, passenger.
 #1635096  by S1f3432

I hired on in the Maine Central's Signal Dept. in 1976 and when I bid in a signal maintainers job in '77 I was
required to have an approved watch and new ones were a week's pay. Many of the men carried pocket
watches and I was introduced to a retired section foreman who dealt in used watches and bought a 1922
vintage Ball with a Hamilton movement for $75. Several years later ( 1981 ? ) it needed repairs to keep
time properly and elected to buy a Bulova Accutron wrist watch which had been approved for use by MEC
and didn't require some of the inspection requirements the older mechanical watches needed. That watch
died years ago but I've still got the Ball; it still runs but loses about 5 minutes a day and I don't think there
is anyone alive locally qualified to work on one and parts have to be cannibalized from other watches or
hand made. Used prices online are astonishing.
 #1635138  by STrRedWolf

S1f3432 wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:29 pm I hired on in the Maine Central's Signal Dept. in 1976 and when I bid in a signal maintainers job in '77 I was
required to have an approved watch and new ones were a week's pay. Many of the men carried pocket
watches and I was introduced to a retired section foreman who dealt in used watches and bought a 1922
vintage Ball with a Hamilton movement for $75. Several years later ( 1981 ? ) it needed repairs to keep
time properly and elected to buy a Bulova Accutron wrist watch which had been approved for use by MEC
and didn't require some of the inspection requirements the older mechanical watches needed. That watch
died years ago but I've still got the Ball; it still runs but loses about 5 minutes a day and I don't think there
is anyone alive locally qualified to work on one and parts have to be cannibalized from other watches or
hand made. Used prices online are astonishing.
You'll be surprised that a lot of mechanical watches just need a servicing to regain accuracy, namely a cleaning and a re-oiling. Look on Youtube for "Wrist Watch Revival" for a person who does it as a hobby.
 #1635164  by S1f3432

The last time I took it in for the required annual inspection the jeweler told me he had to make a
part for the required repair as Hamilton had long stopped manufacturing movements and parts.
The estimated cost of the repair prompted me to purchase the new wristwatch as the purchase
was no longer as painful as when I was a new hire. I've thought of trying to get it serviced but I'm
afraid f sending it off somewhere never to be seen again and I keep it out of sentimentality more
than anything else. The jeweler told me the serial number on the movement dated it to 1921 which
was the year my father was born!